looking for stuff like sasha - coma

- open
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Atheory wrote: he is a trance superhero/god though. i dunno, my advice would be, forget minimal, its too late, its been too stale for years, its not moving forward, forget trance too.
trance hasn't moved forward in about 15 years
Atheory wrote: get some old chicago house records and some early detroit records and the perlon backcatalog. listen to them for a year, and then start with new music again.
some of those records will never get old. but some chicago and detroit records just sound awful (form a production point of view).
RollModel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by RollModel »

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

In regards to the dub stuff miniKAT, thanks but sorry - I listened but just can't do it! My first impression of it was that it's kinda empty sounding and weirded me out a bit. :? :lol:

The Jesse Somfay is nice, it is definately in the area of what I'm looking for. Perhaps a little repetitive but I can edit and mix a few tracks to make a nice flowing set from them. I'll look into it further, feel free to suggest more stuff like that. ;)
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

RollModel wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. :)

In regards to the dub stuff miniKAT, thanks but sorry - I listened but just can't do it! My first impression of it was that it's kinda empty sounding and weirded me out a bit. :? :lol:

The Jesse Somfay is nice, it is definately in the area of what I'm looking for. Perhaps a little repetitive but I can edit and mix a few tracks to make a nice flowing set from them. I'll look into it further, feel free to suggest more stuff like that. ;)
Funkmaster Flex says that sh!t is fiiiiiiire!!!!
minimim
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: looking for stuff like sasha - coma

Post by minimim »

RollModel wrote:Hi people. :)

I'm looking for some music with minimal beats but really atmospheric and melodic. I'm not really looking for choppy riffs, more like slow, evolving and colourful sounds. A good example of what I'm after is sasha - coma.

Can anyone recommend some artists, albums or livesets that lean towards this style?

Thanks ;)
Nathan Fake, some Trentemoller, Ali Nasser.
It's ridiculous how hard we try.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

RollModel wrote:In regards to the dub stuff miniKAT, thanks but sorry - I listened but just can't do it! My first impression of it was that it's kinda empty sounding and weirded me out a bit. :? :lol:
maybe minimal isn't what your looking for.
and in the opening post what do you mean by minimal beats?
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

tone-def wrote:
Atheory wrote: he is a trance superhero/god though. i dunno, my advice would be, forget minimal, its too late, its been too stale for years, its not moving forward, forget trance too.
trance hasn't moved forward in about 15 years
Atheory wrote: get some old chicago house records and some early detroit records and the perlon backcatalog. listen to them for a year, and then start with new music again.
some of those records will never get old. but some chicago and detroit records just sound awful (form a production point of view).
i actually don't know anything about trance music, just from what i heard on tv as a teenager, for compilation cds or whatever, otherwise i have had no exposure to it. for all i know it could be at the cutting edge.

thats what i was saying, forget all that sh!t, listen to some interesting stuff and go from there.....
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

maybe some Border Community stuff might do the trick here. Jake Fairley and so on.
RollModel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by RollModel »

Maybe you're right tone-def. Tbh I struggle keping up with genre definitions.

When I say minimal beats I just mean kinda shuffling & swinging and intricate not huge trance claps and an open 909 cymbal. I'm coming from a mostly trancy background but I've given up on trance. I think I'm still looking for a trancey or ambient type atmosphere though with evolving string sounds and or interesting harmonies. I get bored real fast if there's a lack of melodic or harmonic content, no progression.

The Jake Fairley stuff I looked up on youtube, I like it. Listening to 'Fairmont / Jake Fairley - Gazebo' right now, another perfect example of a cool riff repeated to death! Again one I might buy, chop and mix.

Thanks, I appreciate your comments.