Aether = Cadenza's CUBE ?

- open
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

First of all, Luciano and Ricardo have been around for YEARS before their explosion of success 4-5 years ago. These guys have record collections of classic house and techno that a lot of us could only dream of...Ricardo more than Luciano anyway. Furthermore, these guys have been doing exactly what they are doing now since long before anyone gave a fck. Can you blame the masses for coming to THEM? If I had been sticking to my roots for 10+ years and all of the sudden I was offered 10,000euros a night to play for the "in crowd" why the hell would I turn it down? My true story about Ricardo Villalobos...a friend told me, "Hey man, I just heard Villalobos play. You have to see him, he is amazing." This was shortly after Easy Lee dropped. I said, "Well, I like my sh!t with a little more energy, sorry." 6 months later I caught him while on tour in Europe and he blew the fucking lid off. DJ Sneak mixed on top of Beyer. Akufen over May, Technasia and Mike Dunn, Dave Clarke, you name it. I couldn't believe it.

At this point, I realized Villalobos is basically a walking techno dictionary. To pigeonhole him based on one or two sets you have seen in person or downloaded is not a fair assumption.

miniKAT...are you aware that people like Derrick May and Carl Craig really enjoy Luciano et al? They all love each other's sound, so it's not like there is some sort of "Oh, they're just ripping off Derrick May" bullshit. I have seen Derrick May and Luciano countless and the sets couldn't be further apart musically. Great vibes but to compare them isn't fair. Also, saying the latin DJs are just carbon copies of the Detroit DJs is ridiculous. You would have to say that about pretty much everyone under the techno umbrella which would really just cause the statement to lose it's meaning. May as well say Derrick May and crew are hacks because they got their influence from Kraftwerk.

And quite frankly, the only people who bother to bitch about the "in sound" of techno and complain about the trends are people who can't bothered to go out and have fun. So fucking serious with this internet forum banter about how everything sucks. You know why the masses aren't chiming in saying how great these guys are? Because they're too busy having fun! But yes, you internet critics are right once again and the general public are nothing but spoon-fed idiots. :roll:

Just one question...exactly how are people spoon-fed these days? Magazines are dead, the mix CD is gone, and there sure isn't much support from the radio. Could it be that their success came from great feedback on their recent bookings? God no, that's just ridiculous!
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:First of all, Luciano and Ricardo have been around for YEARS before their explosion of success 4-5 years ago. These guys have record collections of classic house and techno that a lot of us could only dream of...Ricardo more than Luciano anyway. Furthermore, these guys have been doing exactly what they are doing now since long before anyone gave a fck. Can you blame the masses for coming to THEM? If I had been sticking to my roots for 10+ years and all of the sudden I was offered 10,000euros a night to play for the "in crowd" why the hell would I turn it down? My true story about Ricardo Villalobos...a friend told me, "Hey man, I just heard Villalobos play. You have to see him, he is amazing." This was shortly after Easy Lee dropped. I said, "Well, I like my sht with a little more energy, sorry." 6 months later I caught him while on tour in Europe and he blew the fcking lid off. DJ Sneak mixed on top of Beyer. Akufen over May, Technasia and Mike Dunn, Dave Clarke, you name it. I couldn't believe it.

At this point, I realized Villalobos is basically a walking techno dictionary. To pigeonhole him based on one or two sets you have seen in person or downloaded is not a fair assumption.

miniKAT...are you aware that people like Derrick May and Carl Craig really enjoy Luciano et al? They all love each other's sound, so it's not like there is some sort of "Oh, they're just ripping off Derrick May" bullshit. I have seen Derrick May and Luciano countless and the sets couldn't be further apart musically. Great vibes but to compare them isn't fair. Also, saying the latin DJs are just carbon copies of the Detroit DJs is ridiculous. You would have to say that about pretty much everyone under the techno umbrella which would really just cause the statement to lose it's meaning. May as well say Derrick May and crew are hacks because they got their influence from Kraftwerk.

And quite frankly, the only people who bother to bitch about the "in sound" of techno and complain about the trends are people who can't bothered to go out and have fun. So fcking serious with this internet forum banter about how everything sucks. You know why the masses aren't chiming in saying how great these guys are? Because they're too busy having fun! But yes, you internet critics are right once again and the general public are nothing but spoon-fed idiots. :roll:

Just one question...exactly how are people spoon-fed these days? Magazines are dead, the mix CD is gone, and there sure isn't much support from the radio. Could it be that their success came from great feedback on their recent bookings? God no, that's just ridiculous!
the voice of reason strikes again.
Vito
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Vito »

miniKAT wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:Who are we talking about now? Raresh? He's a really good dj...If you fail to recognise that, then there is no point in this conversation going any further as we clearly have different opinions on what makes a good dj.
I was talkin about the ricardos, and the lucianos and the dices.

But Raresh, actually, I heard quite a lot about him a while back so I went and found a set, one that had comments of praise, mind u. Anyway, I listen to it, and I remember to this day because, every mix was done the same way using the same effect. I dont remember which one exactly, but he would send the effect into track 1 then bring in track 2, then pan track one right or left, and bring it out. This technique was done through out the whole mix. And all this while playing "the Usual" I felt I was shortchanged.

The only DJ that I recently seen that impressed the hell out of me(his productions always impressed me though) was Mathew Herbert. He played the siiiiiiiiiiiickest Techno set I have heard in a long time. It was everything, old skool, new, hard, housey, some of his own stuff, but he had a sound, this hard jazz sound that was diff. from everyone else.

I want u to listen to a dice set, a ricardo set and luciano set and a bunch of other less known "djs" that sound just like them, and I want to see u pick out whos is who. likely that U wont be able to. U play a mills set, a hawtin set, a surgeon set, herbert, rob hood, etc, dudes in the "know" will recognize it.

Go out an see a dj instead of sitting at home listening to a mix...Raresh is brilliant,,,but no dj is brilliant while your sat at home!
Beethovan acknowledged the visionary qualities of his music,saying those who understand it are freed from the miseries which others drag around with them....
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:First of all, Luciano and Ricardo have been around for YEARS before their explosion of success 4-5 years ago. These guys have record collections of classic house and techno that a lot of us could only dream of...Ricardo more than Luciano anyway. Furthermore, these guys have been doing exactly what they are doing now since long before anyone gave a fck. Can you blame the masses for coming to THEM? If I had been sticking to my roots for 10+ years and all of the sudden I was offered 10,000euros a night to play for the "in crowd" why the hell would I turn it down? My true story about Ricardo Villalobos...a friend told me, "Hey man, I just heard Villalobos play. You have to see him, he is amazing." This was shortly after Easy Lee dropped. I said, "Well, I like my sht with a little more energy, sorry." 6 months later I caught him while on tour in Europe and he blew the fcking lid off. DJ Sneak mixed on top of Beyer. Akufen over May, Technasia and Mike Dunn, Dave Clarke, you name it. I couldn't believe it.

And quite frankly, the only people who bother to bitch about the "in sound" of techno and complain about the trends are people who can't bothered to go out and have fun. So fcking serious with this internet forum banter about how everything sucks. You know why the masses aren't chiming in saying how great these guys are? Because they're too busy having fun! But yes, you internet critics are right once again and the general public are nothing but spoon-fed idiots. :roll:

You're putting a little more context intio what I said, I dont think I said ALL that. I will retract statements about Villalobos, due to the fact that he was bunched in there with the rest, and unlike the other two I have yet to hear him live. No, he does have great productions, I will yield to that. From the sets I heard, it wasnt a "wow" thing, but i know its not the same as being there. I was upset at the mills and Hawtin comments that were made by BML therefor I may have said a things that were a bit harsh. A lot of these new kids dont respect the OGs of the game and need to be checked on that. I been going out and into techno since the early 90's, though going out less now, so Id like to think I know a little of what Im talkin about.

Maybe its the NYC scene that I'm taklin about, but yet its not. U know what its? I hate that when I decide to go out and spend 25-30$ to see one of these big names, I get dissapointed because theres nothing special there to see, I dont see what these kids are yelling and screaming about. And before u start saying im a chinstroker, or a bad partier or whatever, I'll be the first to scream, yell, dance if the sh!t is ON, e.g. Matthew Herbert party a while ago, mills, derrick carter. I just dont see it, and I'm not alone.
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

vitocorleone wrote:
miniKAT wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:Who are we talking about now? Raresh? He's a really good dj...If you fail to recognise that, then there is no point in this conversation going any further as we clearly have different opinions on what makes a good dj.
I was talkin about the ricardos, and the lucianos and the dices.

But Raresh, actually, I heard quite a lot about him a while back so I went and found a set, one that had comments of praise, mind u. Anyway, I listen to it, and I remember to this day because, every mix was done the same way using the same effect. I dont remember which one exactly, but he would send the effect into track 1 then bring in track 2, then pan track one right or left, and bring it out. This technique was done through out the whole mix. And all this while playing "the Usual" I felt I was shortchanged.

The only DJ that I recently seen that impressed the hell out of me(his productions always impressed me though) was Mathew Herbert. He played the siiiiiiiiiiiickest Techno set I have heard in a long time. It was everything, old skool, new, hard, housey, some of his own stuff, but he had a sound, this hard jazz sound that was diff. from everyone else.

I want u to listen to a dice set, a ricardo set and luciano set and a bunch of other less known "djs" that sound just like them, and I want to see u pick out whos is who. likely that U wont be able to. U play a mills set, a hawtin set, a surgeon set, herbert, rob hood, etc, dudes in the "know" will recognize it.

Go out an see a dj instead of sitting at home listening to a mix...Raresh is brilliant,,,but no dj is brilliant while your sat at home!
U must of forgot to put ur glasses on, try again
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

Forget all this techno sh!t!!!

This is the future!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbJFlQKNXis
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i've only seen Loco Dice once in 2005, didn't do much for me. he was ok but no match compared to Steve Bug who played before.

I've only seen Rarash once in 2006, i'd never heard of him and thought he was awful. he played that Ricardo Villalobos - Fizheuer Zieheuer which was awesome when Ricardo played it but Rarash just cocked it up. it just didn't flow with what he was playing before and everyone in the room looked confused and not in a good way. he also played some other massive anthems that everyone else played from that time. nothing special or interesting at all. it was at The End and after that night i said to myself "i'm never going to one of these big expensive nights again".

maybe i'm wrong to dismiss these DJ's after only hearing them once 3 or 4 years ago. maybe i just saw them on an off day.

As for Ricardo he's something special.
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

tone-def wrote:i've only seen Loco Dice once in 2005, didn't do much for me. he was ok but no match compared to Steve Bug who played before.

I've only seen Rarash once in 2006, i'd never heard of him and thought he was awful. he played that Ricardo Villalobos - Fizheuer Zieheuer which was awesome when Ricardo played it but Rarash just cocked it up. it just didn't flow with what he was playing before and everyone in the room looked confused and not in a good way. he also played some other massive anthems that everyone else played from that time. nothing special or interesting at all. it was at The End and after that night i said to myself "i'm never going to one of these big expensive nights again".

maybe i'm wrong to dismiss these DJ's after only hearing them once 3 or 4 years ago. maybe i just saw them on an off day.

As for Ricardo he's something special.
No u didnt, thats pretty much all theres is to them.

I guess Im not the only one that feels shortchanged.

Ricardo can live though 8)

Also, look at pop and rock music, how much crap gets to platinum!
Doesnt mean its good music, just means a lotta people have bad taste or worse, no taste at all, they look to others for instructions

I will provide an example in pop music. One of my favorite bands is the white stripes. why are they good and respected as artists? Because they stuck to the basics, took notes from and paid respect to the origins of rock, blues, folk, and alternative, but also added a new element that was part of the so called "hip" or "in" sound at the time. By doing this they created their own sound which seperated them from the rest of the trash music coming out at that time. make any sense? For every "white sripes" there has to be a 1000 other bands that have absolutely nothing original or noteworthy, otherwise there would be no "white stripes". same thing with techno