Aether = Cadenza's CUBE ?

- open
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

patrick bateman wrote:So what you guys are saying is that because Mills was always sloppy on the mixing, then it's totally cool.... NICE !
yea but its only cool when he does it....;)
::BLM:: wrote:
I dont think anyone said it was crap did they?

Regarding Mills... I'm just not into that style of playing as many tracks as you possibly can. I would rather hear someone play 12 tracks tightly in an hour and lock me into a groove then hear someone trainwreck each mix, and try and fit as many tracks in as possible. I also didnt mean repeating tracks within a mix, I meant he has played the same tracks for years...

i'm explaining my perception because i wanna know what you think is so good and so special about dice??
I'm not putting him on the same level as Ricardo, but he is most defo one of the best around at the moment. I'm not talking about the music he plays, thats irrelivant... I'm talking about his technical abilty and the way he puts sets together and imo they are second to none. The last time I see him at his under 300 tour in London he was fantastic. Raresh is another one thats also great at putting together sets...

He plays the same records cause they're his records and they're classics and thats where all ur villalobses and dices and the rest of the "in sound" bunch got their sh!t from. They're not doing anything special, they were just at the right place, at the right time with THE RIGHT PEOPLE. thats all, I hear unknowns all the time trying to sound like them and doing perfectly.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Who are we talking about now? Raresh? He's a really good dj...If you fail to recognise that, then there is no point in this conversation going any further as we clearly have different opinions on what makes a good dj.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

miniKAT wrote: He plays the same records cause they're his records and they're classics and thats where all ur villalobses and dices and the rest of the "in sound" bunch got their sht from. They're not doing anything special, they were just at the right place, at the right time with THE RIGHT PEOPLE. thats all, I hear unknowns all the time trying to sound like them and doing perfectly.
i like ricardo cause hes actually the opposite of what your talking about. show me another producer than sounds like him? is it ok if theres a forward thinking producer whos not from detroit?

i'm actually sick to death of the lazy wannabe polemic delivered by people about the "in sound" of techno,........ luciano and villalobos, yes the "insound", when did you post that, 3-5 years ago?

i'm sick of people talking about the "in sound", just cause they read something hyped on a message board, not cause they go to good clubs or and hear whats ACTUALLY being played by interesting acts. theres loads of "in sounds" going all the time.
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

::BLM:: wrote:Who are we talking about now? Raresh? He's a really good dj...If you fail to recognise that, then there is no point in this conversation going any further as we clearly have different opinions on what makes a good dj.
I was talkin about the ricardos, and the lucianos and the dices.

But Raresh, actually, I heard quite a lot about him a while back so I went and found a set, one that had comments of praise, mind u. Anyway, I listen to it, and I remember to this day because, every mix was done the same way using the same effect. I dont remember which one exactly, but he would send the effect into track 1 then bring in track 2, then pan track one right or left, and bring it out. This technique was done through out the whole mix. And all this while playing "the Usual" I felt I was shortchanged.

The only DJ that I recently seen that impressed the hell out of me(his productions always impressed me though) was Mathew Herbert. He played the siiiiiiiiiiiickest Techno set I have heard in a long time. It was everything, old skool, new, hard, housey, some of his own stuff, but he had a sound, this hard jazz sound that was diff. from everyone else.

I want u to listen to a dice set, a ricardo set and luciano set and a bunch of other less known "djs" that sound just like them, and I want to see u pick out whos is who. likely that U wont be able to. U play a mills set, a hawtin set, a surgeon set, herbert, rob hood, etc, dudes in the "know" will recognize it.
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

Atheory wrote:
miniKAT wrote: He plays the same records cause they're his records and they're classics and thats where all ur villalobses and dices and the rest of the "in sound" bunch got their sht from. They're not doing anything special, they were just at the right place, at the right time with THE RIGHT PEOPLE. thats all, I hear unknowns all the time trying to sound like them and doing perfectly.
i like ricardo cause hes actually the opposite of what your talking about. show me another producer than sounds like him? is it ok if theres a forward thinking producer whos not from detroit?

i'm actually sick to death of the lazy wannabe polemic delivered by people about the "in sound" of techno,........ luciano and villalobos, yes the "insound", when did you post that, 3-5 years ago?

i'm sick of people talking about the "in sound", just cause they read something hyped on a message board, not cause they go to good clubs or and hear whats ACTUALLY being played by interesting acts. theres loads of "in sounds" going all the time.
luciano, loco dice who all got their sound from people like derrick may

and I just started posting a little while ago. U on the other hand have a lot more posts. So....
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

miniKAT wrote:

and I just started posting a little while ago. U on the other hand have a lot more posts. So....
no i meant, when did u post that 3-5 years ago cause the info was so out of date.

yeah loco, not my thing really, good dj/hes not really a producer, say what you want about him.

but luciano, don't think his productions sounds like derrick may really. although they do both use 4/4 kicks, is that what you meant? his use of melody and harmony is really different to my ears.

and villalobos, come on, he's kinda pushed the boat out for years now. how can you go on about detroit and not respect what hes doing?
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

we are all friends here fella, nobody is better then anyone else.

i dont listen to sets, so my judgement of them is purely based on my clubbing experiences. if you havent already checked out ricardo, then do so because he is in a league of his own. he has, like the others been around for years so your suggestion that he/they are only famous because their sound is the in sound is rubbish. for that i would point my finger at the nick curlys of the scene
Last edited by ::BLM:: on Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

And who gives a fck about that? Everything has to begin from something. You talk like if we had to worship all these dudes just because they were the very first in the business. Of course big respect to them, but eventually things evolve and change, new faces, new styles, new ways of doing things appear.

And what's up with all that shitty talk about Ricardo Villalobos? He's one of the most forward thinking producer of the last ten years. How can you say Alcachofa, Thé au harem d'archimède, Achso dont have they own unique sound?

I'm going to end with a famous quote from Jean Luc-Godard: “It's not where you take things from - it's where you take them to."