Demos

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

xxmmxx wrote:
Patrick you really must be quite a lonely person to be wanting all this 'little letter' business. I got signed on numberous occasions with by doing nothing more than sending a yousendit link in an email and a brieft hello to the label. I am a musician, not some historian that goes out of his way to do research into some non exsistent underground and beg for some stuck up person to listen to my stuff. Yes being a producer is competitive, but same deal for labels. Don't like my stuff? I have an infinite amount of other avenues I could publish my music.
well he isnt a lonely person, most of my friends who run labels feel exactly the same,
and whats this non exsistent underground ? its all underground.

who's talking about begging ?
its just common sense to check out labels before sending demos, and to introduce yourself.

i cant believe your attitude, and just for the record in my reality being a producer isnt competitive, it's a brotherhood.
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

Okej I've started to wright my letters now it turned out to be a template about who I am and then a piece on how I found the label what I find intresting with it and so on. Takes forever to get this done, but i feel if I get a few responses with feedback it will be worth it.

Thanks everyone and especially steevio, patrick and pheek. I hope this thread is usefull to other people as well.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i don't see why anyone would have a problem with someone sending a personal message. i rarely get any demos but the ones i know have been sent to 300 other labels never fit with what we're doing and if they did i wouldn't bother as everyone has those tracks already. i bet most of those guys don't even know we're a free netlabel. we get the odd indie band sending us stuff too.
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

pheek wrote:
SHAP wrote:
xxmmxx wrote: There are no rules.
Thats a point- It's not the same person you always have to do with, different personalitys and mentalitys. I'm not sure if everyone would like to know so much about the person like you, Pheek.
Well if what i say doesn't mean anything to you, then forget about it. I just though someone asked advices and so, I shared.

I'm surprised by this comment coming from you :?
hu? :?
I think you got me wrong. that was actually a compliment. or at least i thought so.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

xxmmxx wrote:
Patrick you really must be quite a lonely person to be wanting all this 'little letter' business. I got signed on numberous occasions with by doing nothing more than sending a yousendit link in an email and a brieft hello to the label. I am a musician, not some historian that goes out of his way to do research into some non exsistent underground and beg for some stuck up person to listen to my stuff. Yes being a producer is competitive, but same deal for labels. Don't like my stuff? I have an infinite amount of other avenues I could publish my music.

My advice to people out there is to just do what you want. Take people's advice but take it with a grain of salt. There are no rules.
theres too much wrong with that post to even get into taking it apart.

i guess it highlights the difference between people and how they go about things. whats the point in a label without quality control and at least some thread of similarity between the artists?

if a label boss wants to run things on a personal level why shouldn't he expect a note from someone who wants to release something WITH (not on) his label. also, its good manners.

personally, there is only a handful of labels i would even bother sending tracks to. the idea of sending tracks to a label whose music or artists you don't respect is weird. its disrespectful to your self, your music and the label.

this mass mail out thing depresses me. its horrible. why would someone whore their music around town like that? you wouldn't do it to your daughter.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

^^^

well i wouldn't do it to my daughter, if i had one.

i can't speak for everyone on the board, but i presume most, but not all people, would be with me on that one.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

steevio wrote:
xxmmxx wrote:
well he isnt a lonely person, most of my friends who run labels feel exactly the same,
and whats this non exsistent underground ? its all underground.

who's talking about begging ?
its just common sense to check out labels before sending demos, and to introduce yourself.

i cant believe your attitude, and just for the record in my reality being a producer isnt competitive, it's a brotherhood.
I don't think I'm lonely, but I like common sense and good manners, which I think most of what I, Pheek, Steevio and a few other in this thread has written is, again, it's only good advices.. If you don't like them, then you know which labels not to send your demo to :)
I don't think it's necessary to get deeper into xxmmxx's post, it speaks for itself.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

SHAP wrote:
pheek wrote:
SHAP wrote:
xxmmxx wrote: There are no rules.
Thats a point- It's not the same person you always have to do with, different personalitys and mentalitys. I'm not sure if everyone would like to know so much about the person like you, Pheek.
Well if what i say doesn't mean anything to you, then forget about it. I just though someone asked advices and so, I shared.

I'm surprised by this comment coming from you :?
hu? :?
I think you got me wrong. that was actually a compliment. or at least i thought so.
I'm so confused... ok, whatever then :lol: