What was the first track that piqued your interest in techno

- open
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

oblioblioblio wrote:
shypht wrote:T. Raumschmiere

The dense droney sounds, was like being wrapped in a smoggy blanket of warmth and comfort (yet still being a bit depressing at the same time).

labels like Sender Records, Areal, etc.
I'm gonna look up what happened to t. Raumschimeire . He had some great stuff, but then went a bit funny (to my ears), a shouty pop music album I think.

I saw him dj once and it was halfway between a moshpit and a dancefloor. Really intense and unique.
I got into some of his electro-punk stuff for a bit - Monster Truck Driver / etc - I used to like it, but cant listen to it anymore (whereas I still enjoy Zarbitter/etc).

I checked out a few of his newer releases and I really don't like it at all.
Koppnicker
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Koppnicker »

I guess it had been Wighnomy Brothers - Pele Bloss
maxeinsoul
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by maxeinsoul »

Just wanted to say, Daft Punk's homework is pure techno to me... They just took it to an other level of popularity, but Homework, especially tracks such as Rollin'n'Scratchin' or revolution 909, I don't know, it's so fcking good. I guess people tend to forget about it because of all the stuff around them right now, plus all that Ed Banger stuff that came out a few years ago.

Just listen to Revolution 909, it's so famous, but well, I haven't heard many tracks that makes move a detroit techno lover and a random club girl together. I guess people try to label music all the time, and giving a genre to such a masterpiece is nonsense to me. It looks like techno, and for many people, especially of my generation, it's their music that made me love it all. I was 4 when it came out, and it feels like I grew up a bit with it.

They might lack of underground for some people, but they don't lack of authenticity.
erdbeerschnitzel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by erdbeerschnitzel »

Mark Oh - Love Song :green: (when played in the school bus)
Del
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Del »

maxeinsoul wrote:Just wanted to say, Daft Punk's homework is pure techno to me... They just took it to an other level of popularity, but Homework, especially tracks such as Rollin'n'Scratchin' or revolution 909, I don't know, it's so fcking good. I guess people tend to forget about it because of all the stuff around them right now, plus all that Ed Banger stuff that came out a few years ago.

Just listen to Revolution 909, it's so famous, but well, I haven't heard many tracks that makes move a detroit techno lover and a random club girl together. I guess people try to label music all the time, and giving a genre to such a masterpiece is nonsense to me. It looks like techno, and for many people, especially of my generation, it's their music that made me love it all. I was 4 when it came out, and it feels like I grew up a bit with it.

They might lack of underground for some people, but they don't lack of authenticity.
I agree. That Homework album is almost pure straight up techno other than one or two of the tracks which had pop appeal. Still a great album, pity about the kind of stuff they produce now.
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

I liked the stuff of Daft Punk that did make it to 'mainstream popularity' - along with other stuff that was big at the time : Prodigy, Underworld - but it never really got me excited about that genre of music and make me want to explore it more.

For some reason the intro to that Juno Reactor song hooked me. The Spanish guitar, "I love robbing banks!", gun shot sounds - then builds into a killer track. Really got me excited about the sonic possibilities of Electronic Music.

Prior to that, I was really into punk / hardcore and some of the digital-equivalents (Noise / Speed core / Digital Hardcore) like Atari Teenage Riot, etc, but I sort of set that stuff outside of the realm of Techno / House / other EDM genres. Sits more closely to Punk/Hardcore in my mind than EDM.
Yatmandu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Yatmandu »

KLF: White Room and The Orb: Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld pretty well sent me off into the great techno journey.

Before that, I guess Kraftwerk's Trans Europe Express planted the initial seed. I used to stare at the patterns on the tracks on vinyl and think how no other LP I owned had such cool rhythmic patterns!
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Jeff Mills-Waveform Transmission Vol 3