to clap/snare, or not to clap/snare?

- ask away
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

to clap/snare, or not to clap/snare?

Post by victorgonzales »

Thought this might deserve it's own thread.

Some artists can pull of amazing grooves without the 2,4 snare. On the other hand people can create amazing grooves with them as well.

For me the snare on two and four seems to glue a lot of songd together. It gets lame if it is a plain dry snare or clap but just having something there that resembles the snare or clap or distorted or stacked ones still appeal to me.

I think maybe it is something that breaks the 4/4 up in a sense. To me sometimes music without a snare can seem very monotonous unless it has some really amazing patterns. It can just sound very flat with kick kick kick kick kick......... but having kick snare kick snare seems to break that rhythm up to me kinda giving t an up down up down feeling unstead of a flat one.

Not saying that it is necessary for a good groove but unless you have an insane amount of time on your hands and dont mind working on one track forever I prefer a 2/4 snare as a groove element.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: to clap/snare, or not to clap/snare?

Post by tone-def »

victorgonzales wrote:Some artists can pull of amazing grooves without the 2,4 snare. On the other hand people can create amazing grooves with them as well.
i can do both

your also got that reggae thing with rhythm guitar on the 2 and 4. so every other dub techno track has that too.
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

you asked and answered your own question, didnt really see what you wanted to say
its all about the rhythm
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I just do what I want to do and I couldn't care less what anybody else thinks about it.

It's my music, fck em.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

sometimes its lazy, other times it works.

its just emphasis on a beat really, depends on how its done if i like it or not.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

Rookas wrote:you asked and answered your own question, didnt really see what you wanted to say
wasn't really a questoin. Just an opportunity to discuss your view on it if you have one.
otomatix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by otomatix »

sometimes I'm tiered of it and then I start searching for a sound to replace the clap or change its timing.
It oftenly gives a rewarding result.

But I must admit, lately I have the 4/4 kick and clap and hh preset in my template. So most of the time it stays that way.
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

imo if you know what you want you'll get it , if you dont want claps youll fill it with something else..
its all about the rhythm