What does chin stroking mean to you?

- open
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

clubfoot wrote:internet forums are basically a huge chin-strokers convention :D
lol! You're so right.

Everyone on here is probably a chin stroker. Definitely everyone in the producing forum. That doesn't mean you don't have fun and dance at a club though. It's a sign of appreciation. Although, I only go clubbing a few times a year, I love this music more than ever.

I'm quite the happy camper sitting in my studio, enjoying a freshly brewed espresso and feeling the vibes. Stroking my chin of course.
miroslav
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miroslav »

hmmm.....interesting thread....

*strokes chin*
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

Some interesting thoughts here. I must say... I have been doing a lot chin stroking since this topic came up. This action has become more pronounced because I have been growing a little bit beard... well not growing a beard so much as going though an extended bout of self neglect that I happen to be pulling off somewhat stylishly.

I think we have to be careful not to confuse chin strokers with douchbags. I went to an Ansel Adams exhibit in Toronto awhile back and I distinctly recall this old man staring intently at a masterpiece of photograpy while chin stroking. He was a person that obviously took great enjoyment in what he was viewing.

I think there is a good kind of chin stroker. I think chin strokers are just like people. They come in all types.

What I don't like are those techo dweebs that you meet sometimes. You know those kinds of guys. It doesn't have to be at a party. Techno comes up somehow then they mention that they DJ or are producers and then next thing you know you are engaged a name dropping competition of producers you like. Before long you are staring at each other with sqinting eyes like its 3 O'clock at the OK Corral. What could have been a casual conversation turns into a weird standoff of musical tastes.

The only kind of pseudo-chin-stroker types that are worse then that are those useless bitches that just sit around looking for an reason to be critical on something. These people seem to think if they speak negatively about things that it will make people respect their opinions more when they do give praise. Those are worst kinds of cocksuckers. They are habitually negative and their opinions are not all that listening to because they are always biased.

We encounter these people in life but within an "underground music scene" people with those tendancies flourish and proliferate their shitty attitudes. There is just so much material for them to work with.

I see a lot of these people on here. Someone will put up a post of a new piece of software/hardware or a track or mention a DJ and theres always a buch of people who pop up with their unqualified negative judgements. You know these people have never laid a hand on the hardware or whatever the situation is but never the less they pipe up with thier comments.

These kinds of auto-critics make judements so fast they don't even have time to stoke thier chins. We shouldn't confuse them with real chin strokers who take the time to examine things closely before passing judgement.

Chin Stroke away I say!

Oh and this picture below... :lol: :lol: :lol: Looks more like floosie art scene critic then a true chin stroker to me... still... thats a funny pic.
TMCM wrote:Imagea chin stroker. ;)
whatever
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by whatever »

i think that after a lot of years into music and clubbing, after we manage to know quite accurate what we like and what we don't and our taste in music in strongly defined we all achieve a chin stroker side. and this isn't bad and it doesn't mean we don't have fun anymore.
good_god
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by good_god »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote: Techno comes up somehow then they mention that they DJ or are producers and then next thing you know you are engaged a name dropping competition of producers you like. Before long you are staring at each other with sqinting eyes like its 3 O'clock at the OK Corral.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i will keep this image in my head next time this happens...varmints.

and is that a pic of Towa Tei? if so, dude can stroke his chin if he wants to.
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

good_god wrote:
Shepherd_of_Anu wrote: Techno comes up somehow then they mention that they DJ or are producers and then next thing you know you are engaged a name dropping competition of producers you like. Before long you are staring at each other with sqinting eyes like its 3 O'clock at the OK Corral.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i will keep this image in my head next time this happens...varmints.

and is that a pic of Towa Tei? if so, dude can stroke his chin if he wants to.
That is towa tei as a matter of fact. Funny, how none of these so called chafe strokers mentioned it yet. Shows how much strokin they do...

He had a track on this tape I got from columbia house ( the 12 tapes for a penny deal, remeber that?) in '92 I think. It was called something rave, dont remember. Anyways, the track was sick, fell in love with Electronic music right there, and started strokin ma' chin right of the bat. Damn, what was the name of that track?
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: What does chin stroking mean to you?

Post by Robot Criminal »

damagedgoods wrote:
Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:I hear this term used a lot and very often with different connotations.

I would just like to know... What does chin stroking mean to you?

Furthermore... How do you view chin strokers?
i've always understood "chinstrokers" to be the beardy types who take music very, very seriously (possibly too seriously, although not necessarily). expanding on the cliché, i guess in my mind they're usually at least somewhat snobbish about more mainstream subgenres of whatever broad genre of music they're into, are into IDM to at least some extent, know at least 30% of the tunes played at any given clubnight they attend, own a UR (or basic channel or warp) t-shirt, take fewer drugs than they used to, think clubbing's not what it used to be, etc etc.

by this definition - i think "chinstroking" is an important part of any music scene and it's good to have at least a few music geeks in any audience. but they tend not to dance as hard as your average punter and it's equally important to have some people in the crowd who don't really give a sht as long as your sounds please their ears. in other words, chinstroking preserves quality control but doesn't necessarily contribute much to the party atmosphere...
:D:D:D in the first part U got me there spot on right now. But the second part... If and I mean IF its good music, I dance like a madman. Don't get in my premises when Hood is playing. But whenever theres some Live's pre-arrangements or trainwrecks or rly played out tracks goin on, I'm strokin the chin.
So thats pretty much it. nice topic :D:D:D
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
RollModel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by RollModel »