Question about kicks

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Yeah I have been playing around with it. I have far better samples though, so will be sticking with that.
lauschpegel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by lauschpegel »

I don't use it so often but it fits in well with dubby stuff I think

it's not easy to find good kick samples where did you get yours from?
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

There are thousands of good kick samples. Just check out any sample CD.

People just need to stop thinking about it so much. A kick for me is not he most important part of the track. I often put it low in the mix and let the rest of the track do the talking.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

anyone using the klopgeist plug in Logic? That's really pretty solid for making very deep kicks. Although it's also easy to go overboard with it :)
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

::BLM:: wrote: People just need to stop thinking about it so much. A kick for me is not he most important part of the track. I often put it low in the mix and let the rest of the track do the talking.
^^^^ This...

I do however do all my kicks in Ableton using Operator. Basically using this technique : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFiuKTOCdFk .
After some time i've however refined it and started using the pitchbend as well as Fine button of a fixed oscillator and drawing envelopes in the clip so as to totally control the shape and sound of the kick.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
lauschpegel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by lauschpegel »

it's the same vid i posted ;)

gotta try the envelope thing. good idea! thanks
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Torque wrote:
AK wrote:
Torque wrote:
Anyhoo....
Tuning a bass drum is easy. If a bass drum is hard to tun then most likely its a pile of sht anyways and you should dump it. If all else fails there are plenty of kick drum samples that don't totally suck.
What? :|

You know you really want to take that statement back.

All you have done throughout this entire thread is either knock a technique and render it useless or say how easy it is to do this and that.

End of: Nothing else.

Why even post?

:?
Excuse me?... i did state a technique for getting more out of your kick drum. Kick drums are not a thing that techno is short on, there are about a bazzillion kick drum samples and machines with perfectly good kicks. A kick drum is not an innovation and it's not the backbone of this music. It is extremely easy to get a good kick drum as long as it's tuned and eqed to fit in the mix. Maybe it's just me but it's something i never sweated.
For who? For you, for me, or for beginners?

Who even said it was a backbone of this music? You came out with that statement and used it as an argument to propel the next couple of pages. How stupid is that?.

Nobody else ever said it was a backbone. That's just nonsensical self-acquired ammunition for an argument that has no real meaning except to annoy and take the piss. Why?

If somebody wants to get into creating their own kicks, who the hell are you to tell them otherwise? Let people do their own thing and discover stuff for themselves man. What the hell.

Musical dictatorship and I don't take a blind bit of notice.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

AVX23 wrote:IMO a kick drum can never be over-analysed, it's the backbone of techno as we know it; but it depends on what sort of music you make I guess.
Remember that AK?
I wasn't directing it at you.
People can do whatever they want i don't really give a crap.
I've made many kick drums myself both from samples and from raw synthesis. However so far the best ones i've used have come off of hardware that's a fact. I just want to make music when it comes into my head and sitting there tweaking out a kickdrum for me just takes time away from the process. The best advice i've seen on here so far is to stack samples till you get the timbre you want.

If you want to be mad about everything still you can go right ahead but you're wasting your breath on me brother cause i just don't even care that much.