mobilee touch-mix...

- open
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

@bateman
i dont know your opinion on this whole marketing stuff maybe you explain it

is all marketing ok for a label as long as money comes in?
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Themis wrote:@bateman

No, all marketing is of course not 'okay', it depends on the label and the gadget or what ever we're talking about and what they want to express about themselves.

In this case I can't see the big deal/problem.

Mobilee is a quite 'hip' label, iPhone/iPod is a quite 'hip' gadget, and they offer people the chance to sit in the bus/train/home/where ever and play around with 10 Mobilee tracks, mix them together applying efx and so on.

Of course I would imagine that neither me nor you would buy this thing, but I'm quite sure that there are a lot of kids out there who will, and this is just another way of getting your music/sound out to a broader audience and thereby expand the knowledge of your label/artists and again, in this specific case I really can't see the big deal.

From the demo it seems to work quite well, the 10 tracks are cool... so, wassup?
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

patrick bateman wrote:

No, all marketing is of course not 'okay', it depends on the label and the gadget or what ever we're talking about and what they want to express about themselves.

Mobilee is a quite 'hip' label, iPhone/iPod is a quite 'hip' gadget, and they offer people the chance to sit in the bus/train/home/where ever and play around with 10 Mobilee tracks, mix them together applying efx and so on.

Of course I would imagine that neither me nor you would buy this thing, but I'm quite sure that there are a lot of kids out there who will, and this is just another way of getting your music/sound out to a broader audience and thereby expand the knowledge of your label/artists and again, in this specific case I really can't see the big deal.

From the demo it seems to work quite well, the 10 tracks are cool... so, wassup?
Patrick, what Themis is trying to tell you is that Anja's nifty app doesn't really match the expectations of the real techno/house lovers. The app could have been alot more interesting for people like us, like for instance, have it contain 100 unreleased Mobilee loops to mess around with.

Truth is , this app is purely aimed to reach new listeners in the mainstream in an attempt to elivate Mobilee's position. I think this was already obvious because the output has not been really spectacular lately. This does say something about Anja's aspiration and which direction she wants to take the label....The (semi) mainstream, because this is where the money is. Any serious label knows this.

Themis, I understand your disappointment but just take comfort in the fact that there are loads of new labels/producers with a strict focus on the advancement of techno sound without getting too tempted to buy in to the whole tribal house madness.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

they should make a Minus Cube app too. maybe then I'll finally be able to get that so-called "special content" that was on the harddrive.

Pff, why can't labels just be labels? Seems like these days the big ones are more into the "surrounding animation" than into the actual music. All these labels used to be so strong that you could buy their stuff with your eyes/ears closed. What happened?
Edward_Molton
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Edward_Molton »

This is a product similar as DJ Hero and Guitar Hero. People want to be a dj but they don't want to invest too much time in it.

It's like with the lottery. You buy a ticket so you can start dreaming of being very rich. The same with this applications or DJ hero,... it gives you the dream that you are a famous dj.
fragment
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by fragment »

come on guys get over it... if you dont like it, dont buy it...

I agree it sounds pretty boring & gimmicky - and for real techno heads its just meh, bur seriously if people are willing to pay a few euro´s then why not...

There are several other fun-techno apps for the iphones which take a more serious approach aimed at tech-nerds, for instance:

•TechnoBox (pretty nice 808/909 & 303 emulation with a nice interface, step sequencer etc)

•Digital Bass Line (great little 303 Emu, 2 footpedal emus for delay&distortion)

and the coolest one would be...

•TouchOSC (Lemur like midi controller for midi-compatible apps, Traktor,Live etc with various templates like step-sequencers,mixers,rotarys,X/Y etc - brilliant app)

"there aren't many problems which can't be solved with a kick drum on the first beat and a snare drum on the 3rd beat, and a whole lot of sub bass in the middle"

Setup: Macbook Pro 15" 2,5 • MOTU Ultralite • Ableton Live 8 Suite • NI Maschine • UC-33e • Novation Launchpad • Novation ReMOTE 25 SL Compact •
dav.id
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dav.id »

wonderful gadget. Love it.
tabula rasa
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Celltek wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:

Patrick, what Themis is trying to tell you is that Anja's nifty app doesn't really match the expectations of the real techno/house lovers. The app could have been alot more interesting for people like us, like for instance, have it contain 100 unreleased Mobilee loops to mess around with.

Truth is , this app is purely aimed to reach new listeners in the mainstream in an attempt to elivate Mobilee's position. I think this was already obvious because the output has not been really spectacular lately. This does say something about Anja's aspiration and which direction she wants to take the label....The (semi) mainstream, because this is where the money is. Any serious label knows this.

Themis, I understand your disappointment but just take comfort in the fact that there are loads of new labels/producers with a strict focus on the advancement of techno sound without getting too tempted to buy in to the whole tribal house madness.
That was probably what I was trying to say... We are not the target for this application, and mainstream? Well, who can blame that a label tries to get out of the circle of the usual 700 people who are buying their tracks??