[help] How to EQ hi hats ?

- ask away
/parent.folder
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

[help] How to EQ hi hats ?

Post by /parent.folder »

Hi

Does anybody know how to equalize hi hats?
On what freq work?
BTW, what about hi hat comp?

Thanks for your help.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

well it's a matter of taste and what your going for. There is no right way to eq hi hats. You can filter out some of the lows to thin them and make them sound almost higher pitched or you can cut from the top to make them sound thicker and not so ear piercing.

It just depends on how you want them to fit in the track. If you have a lot of things in a certain frequency range Id say try and thin that area on your hats but then again if you like how your hats sound you could thin those frequencies on the other instruments.

Just go wiht what sounds right in the mix.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Pitching is probs more important, try that.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

it depends what the hi hat sounds like in the first place and how it sits in your mix.
/parent.folder
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by /parent.folder »

ok yhanks, i'll work it in that way.
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

victorgonzales wrote:well it's a matter of taste and what your going for. There is no right way to eq hi hats. You can filter out some of the lows to thin them and make them sound almost higher pitched or you can cut from the top to make them sound thicker and not so ear piercing.

It just depends on how you want them to fit in the track. If you have a lot of things in a certain frequency range Id say try and thin that area on your hats but then again if you like how your hats sound you could thin those frequencies on the other instruments.

Just go wiht what sounds right in the mix.
i agree with this
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

i like to cut 250-400 hz, and compress it. sometimes a high pass filter to remove some of the lower frequencies and make them crisp
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

^^^

just on the other side of the coin, i don't like too much compression on the hats, it can really take away from the movement in the track, but it depends on how you use your hats or what you use them for i suppose.

what works for one person does for another.

to op, i'd say get a spectrum analyser so you can see the frequencies of the various parts and how they sit together in the mix. use that as a rough guide for a while and soon you'll get used to mixing and you wont need the analyser.