How do you choose your tracks?

- open
prussell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by prussell »

maxeinsoul wrote:I go to the record store, ask the man if he's got anything new that would fit and he knows my taste. I get like 30 records to listen to, I pick the ones hat I really love. Then my fingers wander throught the records and I start again.

I really feel record stores are the best way to find the music you love, there's a human contact with the guys so you know where you're going. There's less categories in a proper record store than on beatport and that kind of sht. You're free to buy anything and there are so many things to discover.

Then I really don't give a sht about who made the track, on what label it was released, I listen to it and if it takes me on a trip I buy it. If it can take me somewhere it can take a dancefloor with me as long as I play it well.

Nowadays there's a lot of "selectors", even through the supposed best ones... The kind of guys who are signed on a label A, and their whole set is clean, sounds like label A, but you get bothered cause you feel like the guy doesn't feel free. He's pleasing a group of people who came for his name and want their A dose.

I've felt a bit like this not so long ago, when I was buying or downloading on line, it was always the same sounds, the mixes were clean, but how fcking boring it was! I was saying, you know, I'm more of a techno guy, this is my thing, blabla... Today it can be deep house, techno, minimal, dubstep, trance, or whatever you classify it, it doesn't matter as long as i love it.

Most minimal parties I've been to recently started pissing me off after 2 hours, just because even if I didn't know the records of the hype dj from berlin, sometimes you don't even to know what it is.

Seen Laurent Garnier, was amazed by how this guy sounds free on the records he plays. He can get the pressure up playing techno for an hour, the last 30 min are pure Detroit your head gets filled with oldschool hihats and then he plays you the sweetest deephouse record you could expect. Not a lot of guys could do that the way he does. But when he switches from UR to deeply rooted house, it fcking blows the place. there is no up and down in his sets, it can be cool, it can be hard, but it's always lifting your soul up.

I believe people forget the pure role of a dj, surprising, pleasing and teaching about music a crowd.

My advice would be: listen to as much records as you can, you will discover many things. All the tracks you love, they have a link between them: the fact that you love them. You will find someway to put them together that is inside you, not only a stupid label/genre.

Bought a record from "Children of tomorrow" label, check it it's called
Change, a various ep. http://www.myspace.com/coftomorrow
nice post, +1
Marcus Stork
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Marcus Stork »

codecks wrote:Same as mlexicon here, filling my crate on a monthly rate, relistening to everything 5 or 6 times, removing all the crap.
Yeah.. when it comes to buying music this is also how i do it. Then i get a good selection of just the best tracks. Relistening to the tracks over and over again, removing some and selection new ones.
stu1880
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by stu1880 »

i spend my time living in belfast and in newcastle and unfortunatley there is no decent records shops in either city. i only play vinyls so its hard for me to come across little gems like you would in a good record store.

i usually listen to sets etc in the ways mentioned above. but then when i find a track tht i really wanna buy i have to pay extra for postage etc. then it might not have sounded as i thought when i finally play it through my proper speakers instead of my laptop.

fact of the matter is that there just isnt enough demand in belfast or newcastle for good electronic music that i would be interested in. most shops here stock trance, hard house or dubstep! i love going away on holiday so i cn spend a lot of time in proper records stores. going to see if i can find as many decent stores in barcelona as i can over the week im there for sonar. iv been to hardwax a couple of times and pretty much went without food for the rest of my holiday so i can buy all the records tht i loved.
maxeinsoul
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by maxeinsoul »

Berlin record stores... dream places. Is it still possible to enjoy your records with a Becks and a cigarette?[/b]
N - Jay
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by N - Jay »

maxeinsoul wrote:Berlin record stores... dream places. Is it still possible to enjoy your records with a Becks and a cigarette?[/b]
Wow.. good stuff!

Music is a feeling, its emotion. Its your personality that's been put out through the speakers. Imagine your sets as a trip and try to get everybody on it. For doing this, try to vary as much as you can. Buy hard, stomping tracks, buy old school tracks (like the old high hats and claps clattering), deep tracks, minimal tracks for stripping your set and get to the basics.

The tracks are my tools for building a rollercoaster ride.

But the most important thing is you. You dig it or you don't. If you dig it, buy it. Even if its trancy and not so minimal tech like, just buy it. You will see how it works when you're building your sets.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

maxeinsoul wrote:Berlin record stores... dream places. Is it still possible to enjoy your records with a Becks and a cigarette?
i do that all the time at halcyon in brooklyn. well...minus the cigarette.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

laurens wrote:another good advice is to feel, not think. if a record sneaks up on you thru your body and u can feel it grooving like deep in your belly, then thats the sht u gotta play :D
This works for me but is only going to work for certain types of people. everybody is designed differently.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

cloutier wrote:no offence, but i think you're thinking too hard about all of this.

do not think, but feel. we're not talking about splitting the atom here.
amen.