How do you choose your tracks?

- open
daniellesniewski
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by daniellesniewski »

i do that too, but do u never find u reach dead ends? its just been frustrating me recently cos its been happening too often, i haven't felt happy with a mix for ages
laurens
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by laurens »

2 years of dj'ing just isnt enough to have a crate full of records that match with each other or match with what u personally want to bring as a dj i believe.
im spinning for 4 years now and i'm only recently have got the feeling that i could go in a few different directions while playing....

another good advice is to feel, not think. if a record sneaks up on you thru your body and u can feel it grooving like deep in your belly, then thats the sh!t u gotta play :D
Rochey
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rochey »

Ging to record stores is an o.k way of getting varied music...

Personally I do what mlexicon does.

But I also check out charts of DJs that I like & Also listen to sets from other DJs if these sets have tracklists then even better as you're saying your sets are incomplete & chances are the 1s you'll download will be pretty good & sound complete you can see what sort of songs they play that you don't.

Now I'm not saying stick a Miss Fitz set on & every track she plays that you havn't got in the same order or even think about what songs sound different to the 1s you have. because then you're making listening to music work!!
Just listen to other DJs if you like a song & can find out what it is try & find it on beatport or wherever listen to it on it's own see if you still like it & if it works for you then get it.

The best way I've expanded my horizons was by taking inspiration from other people! listening to Magda @ Groovetech fro 2001 trust me you will learn alot from listening to older mixes aswell because chances are if you've been djing for 2 years you may have only been into this sort of music for 3/4 & nearly every song will be new to you!
Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time!

http://www.louchemusic.com
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

cloutier wrote:no offence, but i think you're thinking too hard about all of this.

do not think, but feel. we're not talking about splitting the atom here.
I agree. If I feel a track, I'll buy it. It doesnt matter to me if I'm going to play it out.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

::BLM:: wrote:
cloutier wrote:no offence, but i think you're thinking too hard about all of this.

do not think, but feel. we're not talking about splitting the atom here.
I agree. If I feel a track, I'll buy it. It doesnt matter to me if I'm going to play it out.
it's so much more fun when you actually do play them.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Marcus Stork wrote:i burn his mixes on a CD and put it in the player and pretend it's me playing!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
i've seen somebody do this... its actually not really that funny. :D
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
maxeinsoul
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by maxeinsoul »

Some people mention the price of vynils, it costs a lot, but I've notticed that most of the time it works as a filter in the music I've got. I just buy what I really love, I can't allow myself to spend that much money on a record that i find ok. S at least, all the records I buy, I love them and I don't mix crap anymore without even knowing the name of the track.
codecks
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by codecks »

Same as mlexicon here, filling my crate on a monthly rate, relistening to everything 5 or 6 times, removing all the crap. I also listen to a lot of podcasts to discover new artists, labels and music.
minimal my ass !