dimbiman / zip / pantytec

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

intellijel wrote:@Steevio

I'll check out the SPL Vitalizer, I have never heard of those before.

As for the Roland dimensional stuff I actually recently bought the SRV-330, SDX-330, and SDE-330 (got all 3 for $625US which seemed like a good deal) specifically as part of my quest to make more 3d sounds.
I actually like the delay the best and had been using the reverb more for deeper, drowned out sounds... not so much for 3d enhancement but I will try that for sure.
Do you recommend putting whole tracks/stems through it or just using it for sends?
i wouldnt put a whole mix through it, i use mine on an aux send.
sometimes the 3D effect doesnt seem to do much, its tricky to get right, i'm not sure how it works, so i cant offer any explanations on how to use it to maximum effect, but i tend to use it on sounds which are already in stereo and i dont use it on 100 %,

the SPL is intended as a whole mix enhancer.

btw one of the best ways i have found to get really unusual stereo effects from a mono percussive source is using my sherman filterbank 2. i split the the two filter outputs hardpanned left and right, link the LFO in sine mode to the ADSR, with the filters on opposite polarity and synched.
you get this weird sensation that the sounds are flying around inside your head. it's quite freaky.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/11663.html

not sure if you used live 8 or not... but you could easily build a rack that does the same thing with the new frequency shifter and some panning. might be useful.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
zongo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by zongo »

You should get some interest into mid-side processing. There are ways to widen the stereo field without screwing with phases.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

zongo wrote:You should get some interest into mid-side processing. There are ways to widen the stereo field without screwing with phases.
that brainworx plugin is your first port of call.
intellijel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by intellijel »

zongo wrote:You should get some interest into mid-side processing. There are ways to widen the stereo field without screwing with phases.
ah that's another trick I forgot about. Ableton EQ8 has a M/S mode that I could try playing with too.

I guess there are some conventions on what frequency ranges to keep mono and what parts to widen. Some people have suggested using M/S but on the stereo components eq opposing bands on each side (e.g. on left side boost 1/2/4/8kHz and cut 1.5/3/6/kHz and then do the opposite on the right side).

I'll take a look at that plugin too... nice and cheap!
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

intellijel wrote:Ableton EQ8 has a M/S mode that I could try playing with too.
ahh nice... thats such a good way to get a stereo field without altering the sound too much.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
laza
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by laza »

sonalksis stereo tool is fucking great.

other then that i dont believe that necessearly it was expensive gear. its like always up to the producer how he works with phaseshifting tools and reverbs, how good he is at what he is doing.
myspace.com/gergoemusic
myspace.com/schwarzweissmusik
zongo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by zongo »

Bootsy's Rescue VST plugin is a nice (and free) intro to mid-side processing :

--> http://rekkerd.org/bootsy-releases-rescue-vst/

(Great PDF manual inside)