Sniffing out the BMP and Key

- ask away
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

MIK is just another marketing trick. In my opinion if you're only using EDM you don't need it. Also MIK is not accurate at all. So, you want to detect a key, get a keyboard and listen. You'll be having more fun with it and learning something at the same time.
cytoplasm
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cytoplasm »

all the harmonic matching i made so far was by ear. use transpose from -2 to +2, someone told me this covers all combinations.
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

cytoplasm wrote: use transpose from -2 to +2, someone told me this covers all combinations.
It does, but the track doesn't sound the same anymore.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

how often do you hear really bad key clashes when mixing? maybe the tunes i mix aren't melodic enough bit it's very rare i think that sounds awful when it's perfectly in sync.
cytoplasm
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cytoplasm »

http://www.mixshare.com/software.html

this one is freeware, i think it also analyzes keys.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

tone-def wrote:how often do you hear really bad key clashes when mixing? maybe the tunes i mix aren't melodic enough bit it's very rare i think that sounds awful when it's perfectly in sync.
I hear it all the time. I find it quite hard to mix a lot of house thesedays as they always start and end with keys. So you have to be really picky with what you choose to mix.
TheAlphaNerd
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by TheAlphaNerd »

Thanks for the responses people.

I have been trying to pick out keys by playing along... but I am still learning all my scales, so it's unfortunately not the most effective method (yet).

Although I started playing guitar at 14 I've only been studying music theory for about 2 years, and only been listening to eltronic music (as a whole) for about a year. Picked up my first synth 6 month's ago and it's been a never ending journey. I've even gone back to school to study electronic / kinetic art and installation design.

I've started to be offered gigs now that I have my rig completed, so I really want to make sure I bang my first couple gigs out of the park.

Perhaps it will be a bit mechanical... but everyone has got to start somewhere :D!
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

tone-def wrote:how often do you hear really bad key clashes when mixing? maybe the tunes i mix aren't melodic enough bit it's very rare i think that sounds awful when it's perfectly in sync.
Thats what I was going to say. I do long mixes and Id say only one out of 30 mixes will a key clash cause any problem unless you are playing buth channels at full blast.

A decent dj would hear when to midranges on basses arent meshing perfectly in that rare 1/30 occasion and just use the mixer properly to prevent the clash. Usually your ear is enough to picktracks that will go well together though. if two songs dont sound like they would mix well they probably wont.