Programmers: Help mnml.nl

- open
amber_sun
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by amber_sun »

i think that you should look into a few ads maybe, to at least cover the costs of running the site
or maybe make a call for donations?

it would be great if it worked, or is it just utopia?
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

amber_sun wrote:
i think that you should look into a few ads maybe, to at least cover the costs of running the site
or maybe make a call for donations?

it would be great if it worked, or is it just utopia?
Experience from other sites I've been on for many years = utopia !
From saying that people will donate to they actually do it, there's a big difference..!
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Here are my thoughts

clubs and parties section should be split up into regional sub forums. so a UK section, German section, US, Scandinavia, Belgium & Hollend etc.... maybe you can have a system that when the date of the party passes the title changes. lets say it's in bold before the party and then changes to italic after.

i really like the idea of changing the netlabel, digital and vinyl label sections to something more like a blog for each label. so you have a perlon thread where everything talks about the latest perlon release and the same with every label that gets talked about in those sections. and in stead of it being all about the latest release, labels could also use it for other news relating to them, like remix competitions and links to there label parties in the events sections.

i'm not so keen on the idea of adverts or making it look pretty, it is mnml after all. I'm all for improving the site but I would hate it if this forum turned into something like the RA forum. Way to many people post on there and it's hard to keep track of topics.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

i know ads aren't great but the donation thing probably wouldn't work. i just think the amount that must go into hosting a website could be offset.
maybe i'm wrong but it could be the difference between a taking a holiday or not or whatever for the webmaster.

maybe, i dunno if it would work but you could have a promos section and a label could pay a small amount to be on it, you know, like 20 a year. and they could host their releases in this. maybe a good way to push releases a bit. they could be worked into ads on the site, perhaps the music could get played on a little radio when you open a site (and the artist track and label would be on the radio), but maybe thats immoral. i don't really know anymore.

its just when someone said they've put 1000s of pounds (plus their time) into this over the years, and we all benefit from it a lot, with production stuff, or finding new music or theres people who use the site to push their music and mixes etc, so maybe it would be good if we could help out a bit more.
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

I wouldn't really be so sure to (rule out) donations..

I know another site that get close to $75-$100 a month and they have 1/5 th the resources..

perhaps we SHOULD finally try it and just wait and see....
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

john clees wrote:I wouldn't really be so sure to (rule out) donations..

I know another site that get close to $75-$100 a month and they have 1/5 th the resources..

perhaps we SHOULD finally try it and just wait and see....
Well, that's a very easy thing to do.
Create a paypal account for the site, and use the code/logo/link to the account and put it on the site here...
Dan Higher
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by Dan Higher »

Just a few tips from me:

What mnml.nl first really needs is an outlined plan of what has to be done and the roadmap to do it.

I have helped in the past (and tried) to do the programming on mnml.nl. I already made a custom cms including newsletter system, however this never got finished (and is already hopelesly outdated) due to the absense of structure on the project, which has also a lot to do with my lack of time!

I really think mnml.nl can be a great site, but it really needs overall project-management to get everything going and to keep oversight of the whole thing because of the ambition that everybody has on this.
Just asking for cool features like "better search" etc just won't do it.

This all sounds very corporate (i know ;) but really, if you take a step back and think about what needs to be done: netlabel, full news section, party agenda, maybe user personilzed stuff like user-agenda, blogs etc you have to agree that it's not just a thing to build in a weekend or a few spare nights (at that point i had to let this project go)

My suggestion to whoever will pick this up is to do it in the following steps:

1) do a full inventory on what needs to be done globally
2) make a functional plan
3) pass the plan to the designer and make the design
4) make a roadmap for the different stages and which features will be done with each phase of the site. it's over-ambitious to release everything at once with a project like this.
5) get programming and have fun!
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Very precise Dan!
As I see it too, it is simply a question of what the owner/s & admins of this forum wants to do with the site. Get this sorted and then make the plan afterwards.