First piece of gear

- ask away
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Thanks for the advices!!! I'll definitely check some synths.

@Stomper: Im searching for something that adds some extra professional sounding flavour to my tracks, that you cant have in the digital realm. Although I have to say Logic sound has impressed me.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

ok, still many too choose from.

An analog compressor on your drums will give different color and character than a plugin compressor.

Using an analog channel strip on your track will also sound different than using a plugin and render the whole track.

analog filter on can give you different character to your sounds than when using digital filter, specialy with high resonance (search youtube for "ebbe und flut" and "sherman filterbank" some wicked videos). it wont sound like an analog synth, but depends on what your looking for.

Dont get me wrong though, im not saying it sounds better with these than plugins, but it sounds different and its up to you to decide if it sounds better or not. (just avoiding getting flamed :D )

If your going for a synth, i think you should consider that in that price, you probobly only find monophonic synth. so no pads and no chord stabs. if you want that, you need to find a synth with 3 osc and tuned them so a one note will make each osc to play different pitch and creat a chord. cant think of one like this at this price. sorry.

if your looking for a vintage analog sound, ill recommand to look at Rolands SH-101 or Juno60 (or one of the vintage junos). just remember those synths are pre midi, so youll also need a midi to cv convertor if you want to sync them.
if you only want to play a loop or record fx without the sound changing through the track, i would go for one of those.
if your looking for a newer synth with midi control and sync, look at XS from Future Retro. i think you might find a used one in this price range, maybe a bit more. but it gives you so much and sound great.
its semi modular, so it can be used also as a midi to cv convertor (in case youll get a vintage synth in the future), and theres an input for the filter so you can use the analog filter on your VSTi's ect.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Novation bass station is worth a look.