How big is your track collection

- open
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i'm not sure really, i've got about 1500 digital tracks and i just delete about 30GB the other week. That was soul destroying going through the everything and deleting all the sh!t. Vinyl is hard to estimate as i haven't seen all of it together and sold, given or lost about 100-200. I probably have somewhere between 600-900 records.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

minimal house wrote:Yo cloutier, you got any 95-99 chi house you want to get rid of?
nope. hah! :P
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

Electronic: <1,000 tracks total, on both vinyl & MP3
Rock & Classic Rock: <400 tracks total, on both CD & MP3

I've been collecting for 20+ years but I end up deleting, selling, or "growing out" of a lot of music. I'm very selective and I only end up keeping my very favorites.

One of the most rewarding tasks that everyone here should do is to go through the collection about once every six months to find "fluff" and get rid of it. If it's an MP3, it gets deleted. If it's a vinyl or CD, it gets sold.

This keeps your collection focused on quality over quantity, and it allows me to focus on knowing those few pieces extremely well. Funny how few pieces of music have remained truly timeless (or useful) for me. This keep
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

i understand why someone sold vinyls, because it takes much space

but mp3s? 1 TB Harddisk cost about 70 Euro ... and no one of you have 1 TB MP3s.. so why deleting something
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

most of the stuff i delete is free netlabel stuff and maybe a few tracks people have sent me that i didn't like. What's the point of keeping tracks you don't like or listen too?
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

6000+ vinyls
i need a bigger studio...
good_god
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by good_god »

Themis wrote:i understand why someone sold vinyls, because it takes much space

but mp3s? 1 TB Harddisk cost about 70 Euro ... and no one of you have 1 TB MP3s.. so why deleting something
this is true in a purely practical sense...

BUT there is an important psychological factor in being weighted down by too much average material. when i purge my HD it forces me to re-examine my taste in music and reassess what is working for my particular style of DJing. it's a good thing.

as for the terrabyte argument i think that it's never advisable to do or keep something just because you can.
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

good_god wrote:when i purge my HD it forces me to re-examine my taste in music and reassess what is working for my particular style of DJing. it's a good thing.
Spot on. This is exactly what I was getting at. Very important to me as well.

It's about keeping your collection honed and tuned, per se. Every track I own is a keeper. I'm not one to "horde" music, or even mixes. If I listen to a track once or twice and end up feeling "meh" about it, I'll just delete it right there and then. No point in keeping it on the HD if I'll never listen to it or reference it ever again.