How big is your track collection

- open
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

How big is your track collection

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I was just taking stock of my music inventory and I was curious to know how it compares to the average persons. I have about 500 tracks in vinyl format and about a 1000-1200 in digital format. Now the digital number I quoted is actually a lot smaller then the actual number I have but a little over a thousand is how many of the tracks I actually like and would would enjoy to sharing with others and keep on my harddrive.

Compared to a lot of guys my vinyl selection is pitifully small but it still probably cost a few thousand dollars. If I could go back reclaim that money I would probably buy few thousand digital tracks in their place. I feel the size of my collection is respectable but I fear I will always hunger to expand it. I think in this game size is as important as quality. The more music you have the more places you can go.

How many tracks do most of you folks have? (limited to DJing oriented Electonic music only)
Last edited by Shepherd_of_Anu on Wed May 13, 2009 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

around 2500 records, and maybe 2500 mp3's. very roughly.

sold lots of vinyl before i moved from detroit, and i delete mp3's i don't like anymore or play every few months.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

That is an impressive collection. I hope you have fire insurance and your vinyl backed up digitally in a vault somewhere cause that sounds irreplaceable. I wish I could find that much electronic music that I thought was worth buying. Im jealous :D
Krul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Krul »

I had 150Gigabytes of music untill 4 months ago, then a virus came along.... I had about 50 gigs backed up and now I'm at 70...

lesson > make backups!!

The vinyl collection is +/- 350... haven't really counted them yet...
cloutier wrote:
minimalwyte wrote:When does Digweed come in?
he comes in around 1994 and leaves around 2002.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:That is an impressive collection. I hope you have fire insurance and your vinyl backed up digitally in a vault somewhere cause that sounds irreplaceable. I wish I could find that much electronic music that I thought was worth buying. Im jealous :D
yeah, renters insurance is being figured out after demf.

and its a collection over 12+ years, and i'm really picky.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
Fonque
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Fonque »

3.500 Vinyls and approx 25.000 mp3, whereby just about 10.000 may be electronic...

Normally I DJ Viny only. If I really don't get the chance to get something on wax, I have like 3 or 4 CDs with me to cover that...

edit: and hell yeah, no insurance... Should think about that, after the next car, after student's credit is paid in full, etc etc...
"What is underground? Dig a fucking hole and stick your head in it."

http://www.myspace.com/mrfonk

"yeah, vinyl is real! all these cd's and downloads are bullshit, they aint real."
Leighton Ashcroft
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

3000 vinyls and about 1000 mp3's.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Krul wrote:I had 150Gigabytes of music untill 4 months ago, then a virus came along.... I had about 50 gigs backed up and now I'm at 70...

lesson > make backups!!

The vinyl collection is +/- 350... haven't really counted them yet...
Oh man, that sucks. It would take so long just to download or rip that much music.

I missed a lot of good tracks over the years. I stopped buying music for about four years because I was moving around a lot and working in very remote locations for a good chunk of that time. Plus I wasn't too keen on the music that was availiable in the record shops where I moved to.

An interesting thought... when you work out the numbers...

Say we round the general length of a track to 5 minutes. There are only 1440 minutes in a single day. You would only be able to play about 288 songs in a single day.

For every 1000 tracks you have it would take 3.47 days just to play end to end non-stop.

It would take a phenomental amount of time and effort to amass collections as large as some of you have let alone be familiar with your selection.

cloutier, take yours for instance. Say each vinyl has 2 (lowballin) tracks. 7500 tracks once you add digital assuming there is no overlap. Rough a track out to 5 mins and you end up with 37500 minutes of music.

Thats 26 days of non stop music. lol, thats crazy.