Good monitors

- ask away
chucklechops
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by chucklechops »

chucklechops wrote:Just to add to the confusion, the monitors that sound best to you aren't necessarily the best ones to mix on.

When I was researching monitors I read a good article which I've lost the link to. It was some guy discussing the Yamaha NS10s/HS80Ms and why they are a fixture in so many pro studios. In short: it's not because they sound good or even because they sound 'flat' but that they actually sound shite in a very specific way such that if you can make your mix sound good on them it will sound good on anything.

I'll try and find the article when I have more time; it's well worth reading.
OK, I searched for that article but instead I found this one: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep08/a ... hans10.htm
....which flatly contradicts what I just said so ignore me.
:P
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

chucklechops wrote:
chucklechops wrote:Just to add to the confusion, the monitors that sound best to you aren't necessarily the best ones to mix on.

When I was researching monitors I read a good article which I've lost the link to. It was some guy discussing the Yamaha NS10s/HS80Ms and why they are a fixture in so many pro studios. In short: it's not because they sound good or even because they sound 'flat' but that they actually sound shite in a very specific way such that if you can make your mix sound good on them it will sound good on anything.

OK, I searched for that article but instead I found this one: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep08/a ... hans10.htm
....which flatly contradicts what I just said so ignore me.
:P
Yeah I was going to say that I use Dynaudio bm6a and they sound wonderful... plus my mixes have improved by so much its hard to even qualify it over my old monitors. I think you can have rich, deep sound and still get a great reference for your mix. Its all a matter of learning the monitor. Dynaudios don't distort easily, but they accurately report overloud sounds.

That being said, I have also used NS-10s in other studios and I do find them to be a great set of monitors as well. They do indeed have some of that boombox/car stereo quality to the delivery that can help you make decisions as well.

I would only use them as a second set of monitors though, because they roll off at like 80hz and will not tell you much about your sub bass.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

you've got your wires crossed here bro, the yamahas are only used in pro studios as reference monitors, no way should you use something that sounds shite as your main monitors. (NS10's arent shite, but they arent the best type of monitor for our music)
get the best quality you can for your money.
gustafsson
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gustafsson »

ADAM S3A
dazza
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by dazza »

Have Dynaudio BM6a's and love them. Focal make awesome speakers too.
moessap
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by moessap »

GENELEC :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

in the lower price range I would recomend the M audio BX 8s I spent a long time comparing speakers and these where the closest to all the adam audio and genelec stuff when I did A/b tests with techno music.

Youd have to listen for yourself I suppose but the krks added to the midrange too much when compared to the expensive monitors when I listened to them.
moessap
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by moessap »

yeah, best thing to do, go in a shop and test them, this what i ve done for choosing my monitor. ;)