Song construction... ?

- ask away
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

MagpieIndustries wrote:
Atheory wrote:
MagpieIndustries wrote:I just found the same question being posted on a different forum, this time someone asking about common structure in drum and bass music. Please take the time to check out their replies and compare the response with the response on this forum.
http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php?t=72726
you had a chance to post structures for the op, but you choose to take up obtuse and illogical arguments with people.
Which do you find more entertaining?
ah, checkmate.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

ok. reading thru this there is a lot of real interesting stuff, and definitely a very worthwhile discussion.

I guess it's natural with this forum and this particular topic that there are some conflicting viewpoints. and that's a good thing.

i like shepard_of_anu's noodling theory.

also atheory's visions of adventure.

as well as the 'do what comes natural' thing.

and avx23's recent words.

and some other very interesting posts.

I guess the whole do something different/stick to what's already around is a personal balancing act. There have been some nice contributions and definitely both sides have positives and negatives. I think generally keeping things open and in a freeform style like Steevio has said is where interesting things might be. we have a completely open playing field, why not use it.

I guess partly it's a difficult discussion cos it's such a personal topic. No one can really teach you why you might like certain things, or what might work for you. Being taken on a strange but passionate personal journey seems to be a consistant theme in many musicians life stories. Discussing stuff on a forum isn't going to substitute this, but like has been said. There is some great stuff here.

MagpieIndustries, I suspect that you have some interesting views on music and stuff, but for the most part here you just seem to being argumentative in a distant way. Hopefully you can move on from this and we can read some of your views apart from the ones that exist only in opposition.
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MagpieIndustries »

My view is that the dubstep and drum n bass forums are filled with a younger, more enthusiastic crowd. The minimal techno fans are older, bitter and more jaded as they realise that there's no original ideas left, and the pinnacle of their minimal music making will be a 7 minute track consisting of nothing but a 4/4 overcompressed kickdrum
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

MagpieIndustries wrote:My view is that the dubstep and drum n bass forums are filled with a younger, more enthusiastic crowd. The minimal techno fans are older, bitter and more jaded as they realise that there's no original ideas left, and the pinnacle of their minimal music making will be a 7 minute track consisting of nothing but a 4/4 overcompressed kickdrum
you know i love minimaltechnodubstep, especially the deepwarmfunkyorganictribalminimaltechnodubstep
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

steevio wrote:
MagpieIndustries wrote:My view is that the dubstep and drum n bass forums are filled with a younger, more enthusiastic crowd. The minimal techno fans are older, bitter and more jaded as they realise that there's no original ideas left, and the pinnacle of their minimal music making will be a 7 minute track consisting of nothing but a 4/4 overcompressed kickdrum
you know i love minimaltechnodubstep, especially the deepwarmfunkyorganictribalminimaltechnodubstep
im loving the uberhardrum&bassstyledubsteptechnohousegaragemusic...
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by infernal.techno »

Atheory wrote:have you tried listening to any examples of the style of music you are trying to make?
read through whole thread and ^ is best post :lol:

music you create should be about what influences you the most, and how you turn that into your own artwork. trying to find a formula means you're literally asking what people are going to want in a track. stop thinking of it as another opportunity for you to have something on myspace or beatport and start thinking of it as something you want to create.
- matt
Yatmandu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Yatmandu »

infernal.techno wrote:
Atheory wrote:have you tried listening to any examples of the style of music you are trying to make?

music you create should be about what influences you the most, and how you turn that into your own artwork. trying to find a formula means you're literally asking what people are going to want in a track. stop thinking of it as another opportunity for you to have something on myspace or beatport and start thinking of it as something you want to create.