Does Beatport offer the best quality wav ?

- ask away
tintin2085
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tintin2085 »

steevio wrote:
tintin2085 wrote:ok cool, thanks for your answers :D

Personally I buy MP3, The difference between a WAV is too little for me.
I find that a 24bit WAV as better dynamic than a 320 MP3, but 320 MP3 is really good almost as good than 16bit WAV, Personnaly i don't find any difference when I listen the 2. For some people it's more psychologic, Bigger file, WAV, more expensive, it must be better :lol:

If you record a 12" you will loose all the dynamic and infrabasses from the original record, even if it's WAV 16 bit or 320 MP3. Just 24Bit WAV will be almost as good than the original.

Anyone as an opinion about ?
i disagree, to me there is a very discernable difference between 320 mp3 and 16bit, and virtually no difference between 16 and 24 bit wavs.

the mp3 has been compressed, and i can hear it, although its subtle.

generally i prefer the sound of a 12" vinyl recording to that of a Wav of the same tune, and if i had a choice between DJing a CD or the vinyl of a tune, i'd choose the vinyl every time, unless it was a particularly bad cut or press.
its not all about dynamic range, most of the dynamic range you lose on vinyl is in the inaudible part of the spectrum anyway, and more than compensated for by the analogue warmth and reproduction quality.
if you play a CD on a CDJ1000MK3 you will hear a good dynamic almost as good than a vinyl and surely better than a Serato Device playing MP3 :lol: (The CDJ will color the sound, not very audopphile but efficient in a club :lol: )
If you hear a good mastered 12" on a good and big soundsystem you will hear the difference between a digital source, a lot of power :lol:
Vito
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Vito »

I think vinyl always sounds better anyway!!
Beethovan acknowledged the visionary qualities of his music,saying those who understand it are freed from the miseries which others drag around with them....
maxeinsoul
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by maxeinsoul »

It's warmer, feels more like the guy is playing in front of you.
laza
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by laza »

its so funny to read, people saying they can hear the 'warm' sound of vinyl and 'coldness' of digital and blablabla. in 80% PA's dont even are good enough to reach the resolution of 320. of course there is a difference when you sit in front of good monitors, but every single component of an PA needs to be really good if you want to hear a difference and even then its probably a bad mastered/produced track.
and btw, there is so much stuff which is released on mp3/wav and sounds like sh!t but it would still sound like sh!t pressed on vinyl! so thats not the point. the point is mixing/mastering skill/quality!!
Jamesventuri
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Jamesventuri »

laza wrote:its so funny to read, people saying they can hear the 'warm' sound of vinyl and 'coldness' of digital and blablabla. in 80% PA's dont even are good enough to reach the resolution of 320. of course there is a difference when you sit in front of good monitors, but every single component of an PA needs to be really good if you want to hear a difference and even then its probably a bad mastered/produced track.
and btw, there is so much stuff which is released on mp3/wav and sounds like sht but it would still sound like sht pressed on vinyl! so thats not the point. the point is mixing/mastering skill/quality!!
I was just about to post the same thing , well said... !!!!
------>>>>hey everybody : Im a fcking pedophile faggot

http://www.myspace.com/djjamesventuriofficial
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Does Beatport offer the best quality wav ?

Post by Stomper »

tintin2085 wrote:Hi all,

Does anyone know if beatport or any other digital shop offer the best quality wav ?
Because the wav file is the raw version of a track.
Beatport offer 16bit wav files and generally the tracks just finished and masterd are in 24bit
their mastered in 24bit, but the final export is 16 bit.
cd's only read 16bit so that became the standared bit for wav.

dont know about warmth or coldness.
i prefer vinyl because it more fun. who cares about the rest?:)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

laza wrote:its so funny to read, people saying they can hear the 'warm' sound of vinyl and 'coldness' of digital and blablabla. in 80% PA's dont even are good enough to reach the resolution of 320. of course there is a difference when you sit in front of good monitors, but every single component of an PA needs to be really good if you want to hear a difference and even then its probably a bad mastered/produced track.
and btw, there is so much stuff which is released on mp3/wav and sounds like sht but it would still sound like sht pressed on vinyl! so thats not the point. the point is mixing/mastering skill/quality!!
its not so funny when you're a sound system owner like myself who has permanent access to CDJ's, 1210's, laptops and is constantly comparing the sound of these through his sound system.
as a producer / label owner / promoter etc. i make it my business to compare and check these things out.
why are you talking about bad mastering / producing / sh!t music, i'm talking about comparing different media.
when i write a tune, it is usually pressed onto vinyl, will be burnt to a cd, sold on beatport as a 320, and will sit on my laptop in ableton as a wav.
compare that same tune in different formats through a decent system, and you can tell the difference in all of them.
have you ever done these comparisons ? if not, dont bother commenting.

i dont know which clubs you go to, but knowadays good quality sound systems are commonplace, so just where did you get your 80% figure from ?
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

steevio wrote:
i dont know which clubs you go to, but knowadays good quality sound systems are commonplace, so just where did you get your 80% figure from ?
In which dreamworld is this??