what does the future hold for minimal?

- open
camus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by camus »

i dont think you hear much dubstep in clubs...
Marcus Stork
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Marcus Stork »

fck machines, this is the sh!t!! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cXxQ5kQVO0
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

camus wrote:i dont think you hear much dubstep in clubs...
damn strait...haven't gone to the club in yeeeaaaaaarrrrrrssssss. I'm done...moving on.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

pizzamon wrote:
romka wrote:minimal got a bit too commercialized in the last year, in every club you could hear klicker klacker. but now there isnt for me any sounds that makes me gonna dance and freak out, just tapping around cause the magic, minimal music had the last 2-3 years, is lost! i've heard the last realeases in the minimal genre, like 8bit and others. but there is no surprising for me anymore. when i hear a new minimal release every time i think: "hmmm, sounds familiar to me, sounds like the other releases the last days/weeks. boring...."
I don't know you from adam, but just wait, it gets worse. dubstep is killing music right now. BOOMP BAP, BOOMP, BOOMP, BAP, stab (out of key). BOOMP, BAP, BOOMP, BOOMP, BAP, stab (out of key). BOOMP, BAP, BOOMP, , BOOMP, BAP, (terrible sample). UGH! *slaps forehead*.
I don't mind, a lot of not so good DJ's who played minimal now play dub step. It's the cool thing to be into here in the UK.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

tone-def wrote:
pizzamon wrote:
romka wrote:minimal got a bit too commercialized in the last year, in every club you could hear klicker klacker. but now there isnt for me any sounds that makes me gonna dance and freak out, just tapping around cause the magic, minimal music had the last 2-3 years, is lost! i've heard the last realeases in the minimal genre, like 8bit and others. but there is no surprising for me anymore. when i hear a new minimal release every time i think: "hmmm, sounds familiar to me, sounds like the other releases the last days/weeks. boring...."
I don't know you from adam, but just wait, it gets worse. dubstep is killing music right now. BOOMP BAP, BOOMP, BOOMP, BAP, stab (out of key). BOOMP, BAP, BOOMP, BOOMP, BAP, stab (out of key). BOOMP, BAP, BOOMP, , BOOMP, BAP, (terrible sample). UGH! *slaps forehead*.
I don't mind, a lot of not so good DJ's who played minimal now play dub step. It's the cool thing to be into here in the UK.
To say its killing music is a bit extreme. If you don't like it, then dont listen to it. It's really as simple as that.
Resistance
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Resistance »

dubstep will come crashing down as quick as it has risen... because quite frankly, its sh!t.
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

yeah man...I usually stay out of threads like this. I started coming here because back at the end of the 90's and beginning of the decade I was into the minimal scene. It was interesting because the early guys were on top of their game. sutekh, kit clayton, & kid 606, and that whole san francisco scene were the first I knew of to exploit new technologies like MAX MSP to do a retake on the whole minimal thing. They knew their history, and music theory, and were incredibly bright. When Toronto took off, and Montreal's mutek began to take over the scene I saw good things happening because they were taking what the earlier guys did and ran with it. It was exciting and original and smart stuff at first, but it always starts that way. Once it became the standard the imitators step in and it all goes to pot. Scenes start for a reason and have a purpose at first. There is usually direction and a good amount of knowledge that grounds it. The reasons for the scene in the first place, the knowledge base and foundation, usually disintegrate from there. It's been that way with every genre.
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

Resistance wrote:dubstep will come crashing down as quick as it has risen... because quite frankly, its sht.
well that's pretty frank indeed, I wouldn't call what people do sh!t. I don't think I've ever said that. It is a little like jungle tho in that jungle was rock'n new beats and was all about experimentation. Tracks like photek's "the physical" turned me on! then the two step infiltrated it and killed it. I see dub step the same way. The purpose for it's existence was experimentation of beat theory, then it became formulaic. it kills the reason for existence. Don't get me wrong either because, I don't think electronic music is about being new, it's about being musical. It's a form of music. that's the point...to be more musical.