why is the machine drum better than the korg esx 1

- ask away
goomba
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by goomba »

Opuswerk wrote:One thing however that might change the whole of the MD use, is wesen's MIDICommand, which extends the MAchineDrum and basically any MIDI device beyond known limits.
It's almost bringing the flexibility of software to hardware.
Also about the sound quality of the MD, again do check wesen's livesets. They're 100% MD and imo they sound ace. Thyladomid was over this weekend, and he couldn't believe his ears ;)
http://ruinwesen.com/
who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust.
Edward_Molton
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Edward_Molton »

Opuswerk wrote:One thing however that might change the whole of the MD use, is wesen's MIDICommand, which extends the MAchineDrum and basically any MIDI device beyond known limits.
It's almost bringing the flexibility of software to hardware.
Also about the sound quality of the MD, again do check wesen's livesets. They're 100% MD and imo they sound ace. Thyladomid was over this weekend, and he couldn't believe his ears ;)
The livesets of Wesen are indeed ace. It's thanks to him to I'm also considering to buy a MD.
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

Edward_Molton wrote: The livesets of Wesen are indeed ace. It's thanks to him to I'm also considering to buy a MD.
I bought mine because of him. Mind it's my first hardware piece, but i don't see anything else that i'm wanting at the moment.
However I might shell out the cash for a Monomachine... :P
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MagpieIndustries »

intellijel wrote:
The ESX motion sequence recording is a fine alternative to parameter lock, and you can actually get similar results to the parameter lock using the ESX Step Edit mode too. If that's the best the MD has then, pheh, is it worth twice the price?
Just out of curiosity, how many parameters can you automate per part?
You can automate all of them. Just switch on motion sequencing, press record and wiggle the knobs. It'll record all the movements into each step. You can then go to step edit mode, and from there on select the step you want and dial in the value you want. It's not quite as smooth as the parameter lock, but it's pretty close. If you havnt already recorded motion sequence over the parts, you can hold shift to select any parameter, and then dial in the value you want.
intellijel wrote:Sounds like we need to have a MD vs. ESX throwdown! :P
That would be pretty nice :)

I think overall the MD has an overhyped reputation. The esx is a definite competitor, sound wise, live performance feature wise and certainly pricewise.

The MD would have been perfect as a midi only sequencer at a quarter of the price.
Yatmandu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Yatmandu »

I agree...at the price of a MD I would much rather get something with real bawls, like a Jomox.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Yatmandu wrote:I agree...at the price of a MD I would much rather get something with real bawls, like a Jomox.
Owned the 888 and 999 and an 09 at one point, and now the MDUWmk2. The MD is the only one I kept.

They are different flavors to be sure, and I have nothing at all negative to say about the Jomox stuff. Juergen is a friend and a great creator of drum machines... however this myth that the Jomox stuff thumps in a way that the Elektron stuff can't is just complete horse manure.

The Jomox just has a hotter output on your first honeymoon day. When you realize that unless you are using an analog desk (and even then it can be a problem) and you are clipping your inputs on your soundcard, you end up turning the kick down on the Jomox. At that point the MD, which has to back off from digital zero because its digital, and the 888/999 sound different but at least equal in testicular fortitude.

I hate that this myth has been perpetuated by tons of "but it today, sell it tomorrow" GAS-mongers who want instant techno and right out of the box. They hear 5 minutes of any machine and think louder = better.

For a proper reference of MD balls, take a few bucks out of yer drum machine budget and carry your research to a Autechre live show. When they scrape yer ass off the ceiling with a spatula and hand it to you at the end of the show, you will know for sure that Elektron can hold its own with any other boxen on the market.

The debate is about color and tone, testicles are already accounted for.

Thank you, goodnite. :D
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

victorjohn wrote:
Yatmandu wrote:I agree...at the price of a MD I would much rather get something with real bawls, like a Jomox.
Owned the 888 and 999 and an 09 at one point, and now the MDUWmk2. The MD is the only one I kept.

They are different flavors to be sure, and I have nothing at all negative to say about the Jomox stuff. Juergen is a friend and a great creator of drum machines... however this myth that the Jomox stuff thumps in a way that the Elektron stuff can't is just complete horse manure.

The Jomox just has a hotter output on your first honeymoon day. When you realize that unless you are using an analog desk (and even then it can be a problem) and you are clipping your inputs on your soundcard, you end up turning the kick down on the Jomox. At that point the MD, which has to back off from digital zero because its digital, and the 888/999 sound different but at least equal in testicular fortitude.

I hate that this myth has been perpetuated by tons of "but it today, sell it tomorrow" GAS-mongers who want instant techno and right out of the box. They hear 5 minutes of any machine and think louder = better.

For a proper reference of MD balls, take a few bucks out of yer drum machine budget and carry your research to a Autechre live show. When they scrape yer as.s off the ceiling with a spatula and hand it to you at the end of the show, you will know for sure that Elektron can hold its own with any other boxen on the market.

great post. After having heard Autechre live, I can confirm they manages to have slapping basses out of the MD.
On my side it even has a tad too much bass and i usually have to highpass it. It has a tendency to blow out speakers. It's like everything it's not about the tool, it's about the one using it. You can get great sounds of both, I'm sure. To me the MD just seems very very natural and allows for virtually no limit and I'd never say it sounds less phat or has less balls than anything else, and because it's digital, it actually means it gets updated with new functionalities and bugfixes, which is something you'll never get with analog gear. This is a big plus imo of the MD, as the Elektron boys are working hard at it all the time.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
Yatmandu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Yatmandu »

Opuswerk wrote:
victorjohn wrote:

For a proper reference of MD balls, take a few bucks out of yer drum machine budget and carry your research to a Autechre live show. When they scrape yer as.s off the ceiling with a spatula and hand it to you at the end of the show, you will know for sure that Elektron can hold its own with any other boxen on the market.

great post. After having heard Autechre live, I can confirm they manages to have slapping basses out of the MD.
On my side it even has a tad too much bass and i usually have to highpass it. It has a tendency to blow out speakers. It's like everything it's not about the tool, it's about the one using it. You can get great sounds of both, I'm sure. To me the MD just seems very very natural and allows for virtually no limit and I'd never say it sounds less phat or has less balls than anything else, and because it's digital, it actually means it gets updated with new functionalities and bugfixes, which is something you'll never get with analog gear. This is a big plus imo of the MD, as the Elektron boys are working hard at it all the time.
Yeah because we all know that Autechre have never needed anything other than a MD for their music http://mikebaas.org/autechre/