Gigaport HD

- ask away
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Gigaport HD

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on the Gigaport HD audio interface that they could share with me. It seems pretty versatile. It puts out 4 tracks / 8 lines at CD+ quality or you can opt for fewer lines and higher quality all the way up to 2 channels at 24 bit / 96kHz sound.

http://www.esi-audio.com/products/gigaporthd/

I am thinking about getting one but I thought it might be wise to ask around first.

thanks
Daemonix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Daemonix »

I would love to see feedback too! I want to add it to my setup in order to have a second laptop running traktor and sending to zero8 and ableton.

Tasos
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

Yeah man, I have looked around quite a bit and this audio inferface looks like one of the better ones out there but looks and sounds are two different things. I doubt there are any places around here that sell them so I think I would have to order online.

I have only been getting into the digital end of DJing in the two years maybe. I have tried out a few different softwares so far and I am never quite happy. Well, maybe happy but not quite satisfied. I tried tracktor but I was't super crazy about it. Maybe the newer versions are better but I didn't like that you could only adjust your pitch by 0.1 BPM. I like the programs that let you go in an configure every tiny detail. Arrange your own midi controllers or computer keyboards not only in configuration of triggers but also in the values associated with the triggers. Control Freak.

I don't really miss vinyl to be honest. Its so expensive to build a deep library of records. If you are the kind of person that likes all kinds of genres and styles then unless you are super rich and careless with your money DJing can become a prohibitively expensive pursuit. Plus there is always problems of the availability of tracks you like and often once they released they may never come back.

I really, really, really like the ability to lock into loops. It really opens up your mixing because you don't feel so confined. Personally I have always liked long, slow, hypnotic mixes and looping facilitates this in a big way. For me its the hugest advantage over vinyl.

I got all these records in a tote down in the basement that I want to finish recording to digital but I want to get a new needle before going through with it. Its a lot of time and effort to spend so I wanna get it right the first time.

Getting off topic here. Gigaport HD... I like that it outputs 24bit sound at 96Kz to RCA. Seems like nobody has heard of it so far... If its as good as it sounds then you could use it not only for laptop DJing but other things that might require greater sound quality. All those outputs are perfect for an external mixer. Once I get a good audio interface I will get everything off my mediocre PC and on to the kickass laptop. Then I will be sitting pretty :D

I think digital DJing is pretty cool. I am not one of those types that walks up and stares at a DJ while he is playing records, critiquing twists of knobs, so I really only care about what is coming out of the speakers.

The only downside that I can see coming out of the digital revolution is the death of the record shops. I have seen a number of record shops close down in the last few years. The record shop served as more then just a place to buy tracks. A good record shop is a hub of the community. Its the best place to get fliers for upcoming parties and connect with people that dig the same stuff you do.

Times change though and thats life I guess.
Daemonix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Daemonix »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:I tried tracktor but I was't super crazy about it. Maybe the newer versions are better but I didn't like that you could only adjust your pitch by 0.1 BPM. I like the programs that let you go in an configure every tiny detail. Arrange your own midi controllers or computer keyboards not only in configuration of triggers but also in the values associated with the triggers. Control Freak.
You should check out Traktor Pro, It does all that and a lot more :) and if you send it to ableton for fx and live stuff... its a control freak by it self!

tasos

Edit: traktor has 0.01 adjust