blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Android wrote:we have over come the problems of Amplification and Tuning

why perpetuate such poor standards?

why regress ?

we dont live in caves anymore for a reason
why make music? maybe in ten years we will have a program to make the beats for us? but you forget something, machines lack soul... and some slight out of tune going around in acoustic music is what humanises music. thats whats all about, thats music man. emotions and soul
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

absolutely perfect tuning sounds lifeless.
alot of the charm in early techno and house came from the drifting of the tuning and the slightly flat octaves of the analogue machines like the tb303.

that stuff about acoustic music being sh!t is a pisstake innit ?

is that for real dogg?
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

steevio wrote:absolutely perfect tuning sounds lifeless.
alot of the charm in early techno and house came from the drifting of the tuning and the slightly flat octaves of the analogue machines like the tb303.

that stuff about acoustic music being sht is a pisstake innit ?

is that for real dogg?

I don't think anyone that wears glasses like that isnt for real.

This isnt a game YO!

lol
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Android as much as I'd like to respect everyone's opinions I find it really hard to engage you on any of the points you have made.

i once met a man who preferred the sound of man made alarms like sirens to the sound of birdsongs. I had no reason to challenge his inner prefecrnce and I fully accept that perception is a personal issue.

But it seems like you're just going for shock value with these comments.

Anyways. I'm glad there are people who are interested in these issues related to expression too.

It's harder with electronics but we can do it.
luminous
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by luminous »

great topic,nothing new to say after you guys though

for me to make sound as much organic as it can be is the most important thing in my music making,expressive can be altered in so many clever ways in electronics,i think of this most of my time...for years i'm searching for zen style of treating music flow.conciously adding imperfections that fits perfectly,being right there in the middle,on the thin bordering line of yin/yang,controlling whole stream in a divine manner,that's my ultimate goal...yeahhhh.i'm going back to my mpc :>
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

I've been wanting to add more human feel to some elements of my music lately. One way I've been experimenting is using a gate, side-chained with an input of human-played instrumentation, vocal or whatever. Also, I'd like to get a guitar and a MIDI pick-up attached.

Aside from careful programming there are many ways to give your electronic sounds some feel, for instance; my brother's got an EWI http://www.akaipro.com/ewiusb - a great controller for any of you who can play sax.

Check out Pat Metheny for an example of sound, expression and connection. Great stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSONbye6n98
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

Android wrote:we have over come the problems of Amplification and Tuning

why perpetuate such poor standards?

why regress ?

we dont live in caves anymore for a reason
I dont think regress is the right word.
Regression would be if music becomes totally perfect, ie machines will become so sophisticated that they wont make any "mistakes".
Now in live situation tension is a form of higher energy state. By knowing that you can make mistakes you create tension, it keeps you alert.
Now by knowing that you cant make mistakes and everything will stay in sync and in tune no matter what you do, you lose the tension. Thus you enter a state of lower energy.

definition of regression:
is a defense mechanism leading to the temporary reversion of the ego to an earlier stage of development rather than handling unacceptable impulses in a more adult way.
Regressive behavior can be simple and harmless. A person may revert to an old, usually immature behavior to ventilate feelings of frustration.

Mistakes are good, mistakes make you react, they move you, they even grab your attention. and if one can master the craft of deliberately making mistakes to play with peoples minds then that would be a wicked little weapon for an artist.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

the idea that you'd listen to a coltrane record and all you would take from it is some minor grudge about tuning says absolutly everything.