Minimal Concept.

- open
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

Theres an interesting book out there from one of Americas successful composers, aaron Copland, titled "What to listen for in music"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 2?v=glance

It was written beforehte electric guitar, but it upholds for our modern stuff as well.

i always considered the minimal to be about melody. plenty of minimal techno had and has full rhythms, including a few trakcs from richie himself. Perhaps at this point there is no way to properly classify it since progresssive house and trance threw in a lil percussion.
freeeeeee
Rich
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rich »

When I say it is more percussive than melodic, I was thinking of tracks such as Helikopter, Fuk, Spaz, Skizofrenik etc. These tracks are sparse, stripped down minimal and really don't have lush melodies or catchy riffs. I admit they are all older records, but similar styles are still being produced. A tune sampled from a recent Hawtin mix set:

http://www.lsid-smells.rs256.net/mp3/rhs2.mp3

Koljah - "My room". Again, heavily precussive and rhythmical but without any obvious "tune" or refrain.

I think nowadays minimal as a term has come to include a lot more house and techno than it used to, which has changed the style to some degree. It is less "pure" than it used to be, and less of a detroit sound.
vanvan
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by vanvan »

hey guys thx a lot for all the info
it really helps me with this proyect.
when i have some more graphic ill post it.
on my personal opiinon y guess that the whole "minimalism" is a concept that can be applied to all arts but as in this case we are talking about music what is the concept that is behind this way of producing electronic music. About the economy of sound, and the rythm disposition. Im going to check more info about earlier minimal music.

once again thx very much
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

Torque wrote:Either way no matter how much artsy BS you throw into a sentence about it minimal is still music, not a concept and it should be respected as music not just a concept.
If you're going to cut through the bullshit, make sure you cut through all of it :)
Rich
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Rich »

You know what? I just realised what vanvan said. There is a link from Wikipedia to www.mnml.nl. Wow! A huge international multilingual dictionary uses us as a reference for minimal house and techno.

Nice to get some recognition for our site!!!

8)