staying in touch with the club scene as a producer

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

ah I'm just taking it personally.

just have to wait and see what happens I guess.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

steevio wrote:
Torque wrote:
steevio wrote: i think you have to be careful hitting on europe mate, and seeing detroit as the centre of the world.
Man you got the wrong idea. Detroit is not the center of jack sht. Detroit isn't even the center of Detroit. More people live in the suburbs around it than inside it's borders. Detroit is a shithole. Why do you think so many djs leave here and move to europe.
What i'm saying is that here there is no way for the money and the scene to really get involved with the music making process mainly because there is no money and no scene.
ok bruv, i got the wrong idea.
:)
ps Shithole maybe, but the single most important city for music in the 20th century.
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

^^ Bold statement, daddy-o! ;)
G3rard
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by G3rard »

victorgonzales wrote:And how exactly is going out any different from bumping the newest hottest sht on your home stereo? The only way you can understand the music is if you pay someone a door fee to hear it? I have more fun mixing at home than hearing people trainwrteck songs that are typical and played out mainstream sht.

I still don't see a link to producing and going out to hear the music. I can go on beatport and check the top ten charts to get the club experience without overpriced drinks and door fees. I have better sounding speakers than most of the nights do and beer is much cheaper at home.

Going to events may help inspire some producers but for people like me it does not matter. I don't get better ideas from hearing a dj. In fact I get most of my best ideas from separating myself from that whole deal and just producing what is in my mind without thinking about what someone elses tracks sound like.

I shake my booty in the studio bigtime so the dance effect is not lost.
Its way different from listening to it on your home stereo no matter how good it is. Go catch Villalobos at 6am in Fabric or an underground festival such as Freerotation in a grand stately home or a band such as Crazy P live knocking out house and disco on instruments (just a few parties Ive been really inspired by).

You will never be able to recreate the sound or atmosphere on your home stereo no matter how good it is. You dont have to go out and listen to train wrecks and commercail music. If there are no decent clubs in your area, go visit another city and find the music you love theres plenty of clubs around the world worth paying to visit.

It will influence and inspire you. Theres nothing better than coming home after a long weekends clubbing, listening to cutting edge music with a group of top mates and thinking god that was brilliant I want to produce music as good as that. You'll never get that sitting at home with a few beers listening to the Beatport Top Ten ;)
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

G3rard wrote:
victorgonzales wrote:And how exactly is going out any different from bumping the newest hottest sht on your home stereo? The only way you can understand the music is if you pay someone a door fee to hear it? I have more fun mixing at home than hearing people trainwrteck songs that are typical and played out mainstream sht.

I still don't see a link to producing and going out to hear the music. I can go on beatport and check the top ten charts to get the club experience without overpriced drinks and door fees. I have better sounding speakers than most of the nights do and beer is much cheaper at home.

Going to events may help inspire some producers but for people like me it does not matter. I don't get better ideas from hearing a dj. In fact I get most of my best ideas from separating myself from that whole deal and just producing what is in my mind without thinking about what someone elses tracks sound like.

I shake my booty in the studio bigtime so the dance effect is not lost.
Its way different from listening to it on your home stereo no matter how good it is. Go catch Villalobos at 6am in Fabric or an underground festival such as Freerotation in a grand stately home or a band such as Crazy P live knocking out house and disco on instruments (just a few parties Ive been really inspired by).

You will never be able to recreate the sound or atmosphere on your home stereo no matter how good it is. You dont have to go out and listen to train wrecks and commercail music. If there are no decent clubs in your area, go visit another city and find the music you love theres plenty of clubs around the world worth paying to visit.

It will influence and inspire you. Theres nothing better than coming home after a long weekends clubbing, listening to cutting edge music with a group of top mates and thinking god that was brilliant I want to produce music as good as that. You'll never get that sitting at home with a few beers listening to the Beatport Top Ten ;)
Well of course it is a badass experience to go to a really good show. Im not saying that it isn't awesome, just that I don't need to go to a good show to be inspired to create music.
dav.id
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dav.id »

the underground is where its happening, get involved !!!

You right budie!!!!
I'm sorry to get this topic on the late. Really interesting at all. Thanks for the share of diversity opinion.
For myself, I'm proud to be a real big music lover 35 years old, living 1 000 km away from a first respectable club since 10 years.

Hopefully, home sweet home with my own big sound system, my loving chick, friends and music we choose to enjoy.

Of course, I still need to feel the crowd and the energy on a dance floor. Magic moment happen when a brillant artist perform to bring the sound higher and makes people smiling each other. Kind of eternity!!

I know I need to be connected to the electronic scene to keep an ear on the new producing and what is moving people. But I'm conscious that I'm some time alone on the dance floor looking for quality music experience. Why I should care? I like what is playing today. I know where does it come from and I've an idea about where does it go. This is the advantage of the experience..

I hope every body find the strength to keep the vibe. Each way is a good way. Music is plural, it's a way to share the humanity in ourself, without age, without limit. :D
tabula rasa
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

thom wrote:^^ Bold statement, daddy-o! ;)
sh!t man youre right, i completely forgot about cardiff.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

In response to the first poster, I'm the same way. I'm 28 and I've been this way since I was probably 21 or so. When I was 18-21 or whatever, I would go see everyone that came through. After a while, I started to think to myself when I was out "I'd rather be home working on tunes". So, I started to go out less and less. I'd much rather burn the midnight oil working on tunes than being at a smokey club. Regardless of the fact that I was making tracks to be played in that environment. I think a lot of producers are this way. I got out every few months or so now, and I enjoy more after being away for so long.

I still love the music though and support by buying tracks (just got back into dj'ing after about 5 years of not buying records).