[Area009] Butch & Virginia - FROM ABOVE

- wax
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

A-Dreamer wrote:exactly, jan
patrick, the idea is that, while mp releases sound similar, they are different from anything else. this butch track is not.
I don't agree.

And why hate a person just because he did electro-house before, and now is doing something 'cooler'. Is it some kind of 'fck away from our music, we want to be alone with it, don't come here'... or ??
Kind of the same thing when Dubfire started to do all his minimal/techno stuff, people were bitching about him because of his Deep Dish background, but why??
JanLuis
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JanLuis »

patrick bateman wrote:
A-Dreamer wrote:exactly, jan
patrick, the idea is that, while mp releases sound similar, they are different from anything else. this butch track is not.
I don't agree.

And why hate a person just because he did electro-house before, and now is doing something 'cooler'. Is it some kind of 'fck away from our music, we want to be alone with it, don't come here'... or ??
Kind of the same thing when Dubfire started to do all his minimal/techno stuff, people were bitching about him because of his Deep Dish background, but why??

is not something "cooler" is just something that is "cooler"....NOW...and dubfire did and does AMAZING minimal techno maybe cause he has an amazing engenieer"(MATT NORSTROM)".We are not saying all the artists wich previusly did minimal techno or something else are all bad i this music: Martinez tracks rocks,damian schwartz tracks are cool (just few examples IMO)....anyway the real problem here...that the 99 % of this kind of releases out there seems BORING cos this "new" genre has nothing to say anymore in my opinion. so please producers make something else at least we would listen veriety in dj sets...
marcneyen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by marcneyen »

Have to say that i didn't know Butch before and his electro background and i'm far from being a fan of area remotes releases but this is their first one that caught my attention. Of course it isn't new, neither do i get the comments that describe this style as 'new' or that it is 'cooler' to produce that kind of music at the moment.
imo its just a tool, long track, quite loopy and overall a quite good sound.
Kornel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Kornel »

Although this track is not really doing it for me, I am a big fan of Butch's music. He can make really good uplifting pop techno without getting too cheesy (that's something very impressive to me) and the more groovy stuff works for him too. Oh, and I love (well loved, played it too much now) "Amelie" and can't understand how anyone couldn't. That break is 2008's biggest E moment for god's sake. I always thought the track sounds like some kind of tropical gypsies from outer space doing a cover of "Do Us Part". Brilliant.

I'm sure most people would agree that it's a good thing, producers evolving and changing their sound. So, if you think about it, wouldn't it be strange if many of these producers DIDN'T follow similar paths? This music, or the dancefloors it's made for, does not exist in a cultural vaccum. I mean, it's always been like this in every artform, there are trends. Seriously, modern dance music 1988-2008 is just that, a trend!

A guy like Butch (or Martinez, an even better example I think) moves with a crowd but always adds his own input to the system. That deserves respect.

Also, people who think Butch is some kind of electro house nutter who is just doing these new house tracks to be with the in-crowd should listen to something like his remix (as Bülent Gürler) of SLG from 2007. Bangin', eh?
A-Dreamer
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by A-Dreamer »

i don't think the issue is that producers should stick to their style. it would be absurd to argue that. the problem here is the way butch migrated to this 'trend'. his track, at best, not imaginative.
martinez is a great example of a well founded transition.
2000 and one, also.
mindful matters
soundcloud.com/son-der
djBounce
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by djBounce »

pre-amp tango wrote:don't know what's so special about this one.
it's ok but at the same time just like the 1.000th version of the same house tracks that are popular at the moment and not really innovative.
i'm pretty sure it'll be forgotten within 6 weeks and replaced in most record cases by other stuff with about the same half-life.
so true!
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

Kornel wrote:Although this track is not really doing it for me, I am a big fan of Butch's music. He can make really good uplifting pop techno without getting too cheesy (that's something very impressive to me) and the more groovy stuff works for him too. Oh, and I love (well loved, played it too much now) "Amelie" and can't understand how anyone couldn't. That break is 2008's biggest E moment for god's sake. I always thought the track sounds like some kind of tropical gypsies from outer space doing a cover of "Do Us Part". Brilliant.

I'm sure most people would agree that it's a good thing, producers evolving and changing their sound. So, if you think about it, wouldn't it be strange if many of these producers DIDN'T follow similar paths? This music, or the dancefloors it's made for, does not exist in a cultural vaccum. I mean, it's always been like this in every artform, there are trends. Seriously, modern dance music 1988-2008 is just that, a trend!

A guy like Butch (or Martinez, an even better example I think) moves with a crowd but always adds his own input to the system. That deserves respect.

Also, people who think Butch is some kind of electro house nutter who is just doing these new house tracks to be with the in-crowd should listen to something like his remix (as Bülent Gürler) of SLG from 2007. Bangin', eh?
Dude, not to diss you, but that Amelie track kinda ruined everything...man, I can't stand that track! You know what was so great about the gypsy sounding tracks a few years back? The drive! They were very danceable, rhythmic and raw. No need for breaks, great DJ tools...I once loved those records, but 'Amelie' was the perfect example of an underground genre sound being transformed into the Radio-friendly bass - hihat - clap progressive kinda track, with no drive, no soul whatsoever. And because the track lacks the ability to move people by what it is, extreme long breaks are provided, so all the second hand DJ's think they made the night, when the mainstream public starts jumping around and going berserk as the bass and kick drops in again...

And this is done everywhere, in every genre, in all times. Producers like Butch, Oxia, etc. have no real soul or something, they just copy the hype. They might be nice guys in person, but on a musical level, they annoy me! Wanna bet that in a year time they'll be making Chicago or Detroit house, cos those are gonna be the next trends?

Sorry for the negative vibe, but this altruism towards everything and everybody has its downsides too. This is how genres die out. It happened before, it'll happen again. You have to be critical sometimes and I'm now :). I'm always caught in this battle between purism and generalism. I want everybody to be part of 'my' genre, but I reckon that this also holds the destruction of it...
JanLuis
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JanLuis »

I think those are not musicians but people good in using a DAW and messing up with samples... :?