post your kick drum

- ask away
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

lcvl wrote:did you hp this one as well? :roll:
no. the first one was highpassed but not in the way you would think, just with a 20Hz passive hp because one of the oscillators was at 8.3Hz. second one has no hp.
lcvl wrote:and sorry, but adding background noise was pretty pathetic... after all you're the one who started the thread.
If you don't feel like sharing, why even bother? :?:
my intent was about sharing knowledge, not sharing a product. i value my work enough to just give it away, so thx for evaluating my patheticness. the noise loop doesnt interfere with the kick in any way that can mess up one's judgement.
lcvl wrote:I like bigger bottom on my kicks.
Five fresh ones here, clean and ready to use.
Change .zip to .wav
thanks for those, and your kind willingness to share stuff. i personally will pass on using them but i can see how some can be trackworthy.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

sk wrote: my intent was about sharing knowledge, not sharing a product. i value my work enough to just give it away, so thx for evaluating my patheticness. the noise loop doesnt interfere with the kick in any way that can mess up one's judgement.
i disagree that it doesn't interfere. if its there you can't solo it out unless you use your mind. isn't that the purpose of this thread?
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

the thread is "post your kickdrum" and im posting mine. it is what it is, you either like it or not. i spent years on this. why must i give it away? so that some guy with a "a kickdrum is a kickdrum is a kickdrum" attitude just samples it, makes a track and starts selling it digitally? no thanks, im not removing the protection.

taking part here is not mandatory, nor is even reading - its not like we're at school or at the job so whats with all the rules. if noone's interested lets just call it quits..
lcvl
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lcvl »

Man, relax.

You sound like you invented the kick drum sound.

A kick drum is just a kick drum.

Do you really think it's the kick drum that makes a great track?

I'd say try to chill out a bit and get rid of those ghosts/fears from your life and your music.

Actually sharing feels good. You should try it.

Peace!
Dubby music & free samples http://leocavallo.bandcamp.com
solconnection
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by solconnection »

I do think there is a bit of an art to making nice kicks and a great kick adds that -little- bit extra to the track but it's not the sort of thing i obsess over too much...once you have made/found/pinched a few good ones then your good to go. I couldn't care less if someone nicked a kick from one of my tracks, if it will work for them then that's great...it's just a kick.

best kick masters in the world are seb and marcus from sonkite/minilogue imo, they have been making amazing kicks for ages now. They always sound so earthy...those bastards are good at everything :)

here is a nice kick for the collection..it's quite snappy with a real 'tack' to it. great for certain applications...it's quite minimal sounding too i think. The transient makes it sound light but its actually got some good weight.

tacky kick (direct link, so you can just right click save)

enjoy.

have a nice day
-Dan
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

solconnection wrote:I do think there is a bit of an art to making nice kicks and a great kick adds that -little- bit extra to the track but it's not the sort of thing i obsess over too much...once you have made/found/pinched a few good ones then your good to go. I couldn't care less if someone nicked a kick from one of my tracks, if it will work for them then that's great...it's just a kick.
That could be me saying that, I feel exactly the same way.

Here's 4 kicks in a row which aren't samples, these have been synthesized from a coupld of different things ( Thor & Operator )

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xznzynzycmj/4 synthesized kicks.wav
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

new contributions, great. i take it quite a few users here are keen on the deeper stuff, so this time i'm posting a more dubby one. a track carrier by itself, with an average rms of -12, sh!t is butter to my ears. didnt take the time to perfect the tail, but oh well - its just a kick drum...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ebq7i7
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Very nice s.k. What did you make that kick with?

I can get an almost exact ( barring pitching ) kick with Lives Operator synth - and in fact, I use it a lot.

But because it's a synthesized kick, I find the transient never quite pulls through the mix as much as a sampled one. One could argue that if you built a track around the kick, you'd mix accordingly and perhaps harmonically.

My own personal view is that the transient doest really produce an audible pitch that is relevant to the fundamental frequency, it provides the punch and character ( because that's what you hear right away ) but the decay itself is the key IMO. That's what I sample attack times and synthesize decays.

Whilst you were correct ( earlier ) in saying that I am essentially capturing harmonics not present in what i am doing, those details are too short lived to be of any auditory relevance to the human ear, I might sample a kick in the middle of a busy mix and then trim it right up and slap a synthesized decay on it and bang it in my mix, the sustained part of the sample is what the ears perceive in this case - and I know we perceive transient information but the details in this type of scenario don't even register. It's all about punch to my ears and I can hear perfectly right up to about19k.

Anyway, I'm sidetracking here, so forgive me for that..... I explored my ways f synthesis and sample ( I have used synthesis alone at times too ) but I don't think you have talked about what you do for your kicks.

( Off topic - I'm buying a machinedrum and a monomachine in July so hopefully, I wont have to consider such things again lol )

:lol: