TRAKTOR SCRATCH - WHO USES THE SYNC?

- ask away
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

hydrogen wrote:
isaaclevy wrote: i think there is good music and bad music....there is also good set and bad sets....

but this is just an opinion...
absolutely... and i agree with your statement about not liking the vinyl market. I don't enjoy vinyl because of its expense and the wear and tear that I have on all my records. But i still don't rely on autosync... :) i was hoping by now they would make a 4 turntable version of serato, but that hasn't happened yet. too bad. :(

edit: changed the word scratch to serato. :)
yes...i was waiting for that too...i heard about the new "fusion"..but stil nothing...and i got a good offer so i took it and went to try the other one.....

i dont like the autosync eighter.....
Shadi Megallaa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shadi Megallaa »

I can't really be bothered at the moment to read the whole entire thread but i just wanted to add my thoughts on it.. (i did read a lot by the way) As far as the auto-sync goes, maybe i'm an old school guy but i still enjoy mixing the old way.. i love when things are juuuust a little tiny bit off and you can whip it back in.. and not just that honestly.. it can also be a little irritating when people have too much time on their hands if they're not djing.. especially people who have to fck with the eqs at all times.. or filter this and flanger that.. a good dj, i mean a very good dj is irreplacable. just as people might say, ok so u can match records, big deal, you can also say the same thing with all the other things djs have time to do now.. oh nice you can auto sync a lot of loops and play them together. bravoo.. it would be mind numbingly boring for me to dj with auto-sync, might as well pop in a cd and sip drinks back there all night..
Tracer Records
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: TRAKTOR SCRATCH - WHO USES THE SYNC?

Post by Tracer Records »

isaaclevy wrote:Hello there i am curious about this SYNC option that the traktor scratch...and i have been wondering if these "famous djs" or good djs are using it at all....

i have opossite feelings about it..in a way i think it is like cheating, couse one of the skills of a good dj is to be able to sync, not to press a notton and that's it...but in te other hand, i feel like selling my serato and buying the traktor to sync with those 4 decks...

i don tknow wat do you think?
Its not that the idea that a DJ should make it as hard as possible for him/her to spin records, but to get a crowd going. I use the sync button, who cares? I know I can DJ, I can spin vinyl and CD's, I see no reason why using the sync button is cheating..
topperanza
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by topperanza »

PsyTox wrote:
JackNine wrote:I'll take a DJ who autosyncs but has the ultimate musical prowess over an old school DJ who spins vinyl but sucks the wank when it comes to track selection and flow.
a proper dj does all that without having software do it for him/her. Truely great dj's can select the good tunes, mix them properly, beatmatch ànd tell a story in their sets. That's why they are exceptional: it's hard to combine all these, but that's what makes the difference between masters and pupils.

I can understand how it can be exciting to cut up tracks and create new combinations, effects etc, but I personally don't like it, because I like to keep a track intact to a certain degree, because the producer simply intended it to be a music piece, not a 4 bar loop.
totally agree!
...the last thing i remember is...

https://soundcloud.com/topper
alex tomb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by alex tomb »

Tracer Records wrote:
isaaclevy wrote:Hello there i am curious about this SYNC option that the traktor scratch...and i have been wondering if these "famous djs" or good djs are using it at all....

i have opossite feelings about it..in a way i think it is like cheating, couse one of the skills of a good dj is to be able to sync, not to press a notton and that's it...but in te other hand, i feel like selling my serato and buying the traktor to sync with those 4 decks...

i don tknow wat do you think?
Its not that the idea that a DJ should make it as hard as possible for him/her to spin records, but to get a crowd going. I use the sync button, who cares? I know I can DJ, I can spin vinyl and CD's, I see no reason why using the sync button is cheating..
+1
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

I want to thank everyone for their opinions....this is one of the things that makes this forum interesting....i have learned a lot form a lot of people here....

Thanks again!!...
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

Tracer Records wrote: Its not that the idea that a DJ should make it as hard as possible for him/her to spin records, but to get a crowd going. I use the sync button, who cares? I know I can DJ, I can spin vinyl and CD's, I see no reason why using the sync button is cheating..
Anyone can press a sync button, not everyone can beatmatch properly.
It's like saying: yeah that three decks turntablism of Claude Young, pffffff, I can do that in my traktor, just push the sync on three decks, and press the rewind and scratch EFX button here and there...
So you are telling me that that's the same level of skill as what Young would do? Please...

It doesn't have to be hard, but it's just another level of "expertise". The problem is that nowadays everyone wants to be a dj. But no one wants to make an effort in learning the basics and develope skills. And of course, many marketing boys see money in this, and start catering to that instant gratification laziness attitude. So, you get software that dj's for you, you get cars that park for you, you get websites that do your homework for you, etc etc. The result is that yes, you have time for other things, but you don't feel accomplishment and basically you are bored out of your mind and everyone sounds the same. I see lots of dj's every week who spend 75% of the time in their set waving their hands Tiesto style to the crowd. Ableton is a great piece of software, but the "dj'ing" it enables has made many sets as boring as looking at gras grow.

Like someone else said here: you get so much time on your hands with this software mixing that you start janking EQ's, throwing efx in and looping to stay busy, but musically it doesn't add anything. And in the end you sound like the thousands of other dj's who mask every mistake with a fat layer of delay.
Tracer Records
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Tracer Records »

PsyTox wrote:
Tracer Records wrote: Its not that the idea that a DJ should make it as hard as possible for him/her to spin records, but to get a crowd going. I use the sync button, who cares? I know I can DJ, I can spin vinyl and CD's, I see no reason why using the sync button is cheating..
Anyone can press a sync button, not everyone can beatmatch properly.
It's like saying: yeah that three decks turntablism of Claude Young, pffffff, I can do that in my traktor, just push the sync on three decks, and press the rewind and scratch EFX button here and there...
So you are telling me that that's the same level of skill as what Young would do? Please...

It doesn't have to be hard, but it's just another level of "expertise". The problem is that nowadays everyone wants to be a dj. But no one wants to make an effort in learning the basics and develope skills. And of course, many marketing boys see money in this, and start catering to that instant gratification laziness attitude. So, you get software that dj's for you, you get cars that park for you, you get websites that do your homework for you, etc etc. The result is that yes, you have time for other things, but you don't feel accomplishment and basically you are bored out of your mind and everyone sounds the same. I see lots of dj's every week who spend 75% of the time in their set waving their hands Tiesto style to the crowd. Ableton is a great piece of software, but the "dj'ing" it enables has made many sets as boring as looking at gras grow.

Like someone else said here: you get so much time on your hands with this software mixing that you start janking EQ's, throwing efx in and looping to stay busy, but musically it doesn't add anything. And in the end you sound like the thousands of other dj's who mask every mistake with a fat layer of delay.

That is not what I said, what kinda bullshit is that? You totally missed the point. Big respect for those who are able to beatmatch and blabla, but who cares, if the result is exactley the same?

I don't see that using the sync button is cheating, there is so much more to being a good DJ besides beatmatching.