post your kick drum

- ask away
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

post your kick drum

Post by s.k. »

ok, this thread is probably going to be a disaster but still... since the other kick thread got too long and distracted, heres what i suggest - lets post some kicks we made here, and discuss the good or bad sides of 'em. the technique used is of no importance as long as it doesnt come straight from a machine/sample without any tweaking whatsoever. so anything goes. i think this is the best way for everybody to discover the good and bad sides of different techniques and find out what works best for them.

to kick it off, i show no shame and post my latest one here:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/nd5a8z

please feel free to discuss and critisize it, as its certainly not perfect. cannot carry a track by itself too because i did not include the low tail, so forget about sampling it - it won't work if you just 'add' another bass.

p.s. i am doing this simply for the need to communicate on an important subject, but with examples included, which i think is the only reasonable way. also think it might be educational for some (all) of us.
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

nathan_fr
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nathan_fr »

:roll:
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

so what are the rules? no bass behind the drum? like this kick it needs some extra bass...
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

yeah i know.. just couldnt live with the thought of posting it complete with the bass.. good that at least someone cared to give me the "your kung fu wack" sh!t, thanks jeff :D
stefanovidalidj
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by stefanovidalidj »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFiuKTOCdFk

Usefull video on how to synthetize a basic kick... the trick here is to use ableton saturator in waveshaper mode to shape the kick, you can get some nice result... Hope this help!
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

s.k. wrote:yeah i know.. just couldnt live with the thought of posting it complete with the bass.. good that at least someone cared to give me the "your kung fu wack" sht, thanks jeff :D
For sure i'll post a couple kicks this weekend... but i'm not sure if it will mean much. I was thinking about this earlier... especially with all the tools that are available there isn't a perfect kick! Goes along with what steveo was saying about every track is its own... i feel its the same with the kick. It means nothing without the rest of the track.

I do like your kick though. :) very punchy. Lately i've been trying to break all the rules and doing almost no punch... but my support friends keep complaining... where is the punch!? and i'm like... "hey i'm trying to do something a little bit different than everybody else... is that cool?"
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

hydrogen wrote:For sure i'll post a couple kicks this weekend... but i'm not sure if it will mean much. I was thinking about this earlier... especially with all the tools that are available there isn't a perfect kick! Goes along with what steveo was saying about every track is its own... i feel its the same with the kick. It means nothing without the rest of the track.
great, thought i would remain the only one who posts a kick. i hear you on the rest - surely a kick by itself cannot make complete sense, but to anyone that has some experience in making tracks from the ground up - it will mean something. as in, you develop this sense/ear as to what kicks will work and deliver a solid track later on in the process. so yeah - we'll have sth. to talk about.
hydrogen wrote: I do like your kick though. :) very punchy. Lately i've been trying to break all the rules and doing almost no punch... but my support friends keep complaining... where is the punch!? and i'm like... "hey i'm trying to do something a little bit different than everybody else... is that cool?"
funny, that kind of punch is not my style too... i made that kick to give an example how punch can be achieved without using any compression at all. glad the message got through :) . i also like way milder kicks though, with lower rms, so i will be really glad to hear yours. concerning your friends, i would just say - do what feels right. and yeah - thanks in advance for participating in our small excercise/case study thing :) .