piracy does anyone even bother?

- ask away
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MagpieIndustries »

yacek wrote:and don't steal what they worked hard to make.
So your computer is entirely free from pirated software, softsynths and vsts? No illegal movies? You've paid for your OS and antivirus and whatever else? Well done!!
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

MagpieIndustries wrote:
So your computer is entirely free from pirated software, softsynths and vsts? No illegal movies? You've paid for your OS and antivirus and whatever else? Well done!!
the real suprise here is that this is actually looked upon as exceptional...

And as for artists giving away their music for free, that's of course your choice, but don't come complaining if you can't buy some new gear for your studio or if some guy simply takes your track and releases it under his own name. Who's going to stop him, you? You don't have a label, you're not registered. If he registers the tracks properly, your creative commons and poor man's copyright etc don't mean sh!t in court, which many people don't seem to understand.

Also, a lot of producers don't want to dj or perform live, they want to use their time to make music. Which is impossible nowadays thanks to piracy. And on the other side, because producers have to take dj gigs to make ends meet, we have so many events where promotors book producers who can't dj properly, which ends up in a sh!t party and a sh!t experience. If that's the situation you want, good for you. But I would like to see dj's play at events because they are good dj's, and have them play music by producers who have time to produce instead of taking on 4 bookings a week to get money, and then are too tired for the rest of the week so they make quick snap songs or even worse: they hire someone to make tracks for them.
It's shocking how people only think of piracy as a problem of the labels while it extends much further then that and it's basically ruining a lot: tickets get more expensive for crappier parties and clubs, who have to start playing safe and book famous producers who don't dj properly etc etc. I've been into dance music in various ways for 20 years coming september, and the way it's now is not why I ever got involved in the first place.

Anyway... guess there's nothing I can do but to leave it all as is and just do my own thing and hope for the best :)
yacek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yacek »

MagpieIndustries wrote:
wow imagine that, I buy all my software and ya the other night I bought myself a movie on iTunes... yea sometimes I need to go to work after school and I need to save up, but I have immense respect for the people whose products I buy and to show some appreciation for the hard work they put in the least I can go do is purchase their work.
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MagpieIndustries »

yacek wrote:
MagpieIndustries wrote:
wow imagine that, I buy all my software and ya the other night I bought myself a movie on iTunes... yea sometimes I need to go to work after school and I need to save up, but I have immense respect for the people whose products I buy and to show some appreciation for the hard work they put in the least I can go do is purchase their work.
you're an angel.
yacek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yacek »

MagpieIndustries wrote:
yacek wrote:
MagpieIndustries wrote:
you're an angel.
that's your best argument, huh? the truth is a lot of these music software companies and artists out there are not as rich as you choose to believe and at the same time it's not like anyone is charging ridiculous prices for any of it either. I mean if you are not dedicated to music enough to spend some money on it then making music is probably not the right option for you, leave that to those that are... and if you don't like a toon enough to pay a buck or two, then don't buy it.