From Left to Right

- ask away
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

From Left to Right

Post by Atheory »

you know when dance music started out and it was, by and large, far left. parties, general mood etc, probably a kind of watery left, but it was something different for that generation. you can hear in the music definilty some sort of hope.

obviously its been happening for years, (1994 bill seems like a major milestone of sorts) but just reading the forum and listening to trakcs and stuff, its amazing how strictly conservative everythings become.

sometimes men moaning about getting payed for their plodding, generative tracks really underlines the point for me. depresssing.
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

Eh... y'know.

Humans are shite.
BigPoe
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BigPoe »

I thought this post was going to be about stereo panning. I am disappointed :(
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

Eh... y'know.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

make it about stereo panning if you want. sorry for being so "deep" :roll:
BigPoe
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BigPoe »

'Deep' as in sub 100Hz?

Edit: sh!t pun I know

I've got an idea that lower frequency sounds have more width on them than higher frequency sounds if you add chorus. Would be good if someone could clarify this point.

I think it helps to walk into a tune as though it's a room with different sounds in different places in the room. Not sure if it helps to assign political spectrum to music though.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

well chorus is like a small delay or doubling or more of a sound, so yeah, its best to keep it from the lows, or at least be a bit restrained. dont really use chorus ever, have a few times to try and make something sit a bit better in a mix, but i wasn't crazy about it.

**please correct if i'm wrong**

yes a set of monitors set up in a well treated room means that you will hear in a much more canvasy way than say headphones or a club. so i suppose that canvas could take on the shape of a room if that works for you.

hmmn, not sure about the political nuances of your room analogy though, best to take it on face value i suppose.
BigPoe
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BigPoe »

Ah ha, I like the canvas, but it's only 2D! So, I'm going with an installation *gufaw*

I agree, chorus is a bit tricky, it often sounds too squelchy. Working with multiple samples for the same hit or multiple tracks for synths etc. can provide better results in my (limited) experience. I really like it when samples sound as though they're at the extremities of your headphones. I've noticed that (a)pendics shuffle is really good at that.