piracy does anyone even bother?

- ask away
yacek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yacek »

atomik_snail wrote:A solution would be that both producers/audio companies the like of pioneer, denon and such (for digital download) would work together : the company developes a kind of code+chip (the kind that PS3 uses) so that cdj's won't play tracks that don't have that code embeded.

P.S : Don't throw rotten eggs at me :oops:
da thing is most DJs buy their music... the far majority of pirates are regular listeners.
Gummo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Gummo »

Taking a couple of wild guesses/predictions here:

"Fighting" piracy just doesn't work. The majority of producers I know get absolutely no money from their releases anyways... so it's not directly affecting "them"...
Even if you're a big popular band, selling an album is usually not your greatest source of income -- it's the gigs.

Could this mean "labels" are destined to become "extinct"? I'm probably exaggerating but while if you buy vinyl there's something physical involved but through iTunes/Beatport etc. you are basically paying the distributor and the record label for "uploading someone else's music and making it available".

IMO while labels aren't just going to suddenly vanish from this world I guess they'll eventually turn into just that: labels.

If netlabels were more popular and bigger artists were supporting them, they would probably be the main form of music distribution. You used to need a lot of money (and therefore a big label's backing) to get promoted enough, but in this Internet age I don't think it's strictly necessary. You don't have to stay outside record stores giving out your free CD's anymore, I believe soon enough "label-less" artists are going to be able to compete directly with guys signed to majors etc. (as long as their music is as good, or better)

It's sad for the labels, but I guess on the long run this could possibly be better for the artists?
humeka
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by humeka »

Gummo wrote: Could this mean "labels" are destined to become "extinct"? I'm probably exaggerating but while if you buy vinyl there's something physical involved but through iTunes/Beatport etc. you are basically paying the distributor and the record label for "uploading someone else's music and making it available".
mmm, what about paying for music?

If netlabels were more popular and bigger artists were supporting them, they would probably be the main form of music distribution. You used to need a lot of money (and therefore a big label's backing) to get promoted enough, but in this Internet age I don't think it's strictly necessary. You don't have to stay outside record stores giving out your free CD's anymore, I believe soon enough "label-less" artists are going to be able to compete directly with guys signed to majors etc. (as long as their music is as good, or better)

It's sad for the labels, but I guess on the long run this could possibly be better for the artists?
I don't believe labels will disappear one day as they fulfill an essential mission for artists: delivering their music!
you're right internet is helping artists to promote themselves better than ever but you can't reach as many listeners as a label could do for you.
more: labels have a reputation and it's a value for an artist to be associated with.

concerning the difference between labels and netlabels, read Sebastian Redenz statement:

http://thinnerism.cc/2008/12/07/constra ... -netlabel/
Gummo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Gummo »

humeka wrote: mmm, what about paying for music?
Yes, what I was trying to say is that USUALLY (and especially in this genre) you're just paying the label + distributor, not the artist.
I don't believe labels will disappear one day as they fulfill an essential mission for artists: delivering their music!
you're right internet is helping artists to promote themselves better than ever but you can't reach as many listeners as a label could do for you.
more: labels have a reputation and it's a value for an artist to be associated with.

concerning the difference between labels and netlabels, read Sebastian Redenz statement:

http://thinnerism.cc/2008/12/07/constra ... -netlabel/
Yeah I read that before actually, and agree 100%, that's how netlabels are NOW. But with Beatport/iTunes/etc. allowing so many "small" (and low-quality?) labels on board and a lot of "mainly vinyl" labels forced to turn digital, the lines are getting blurrier and blurrier. Pheek's Archipel has a very forward-thinking release method IMO: rare vinyl, and payed digital that with time turns "free" (at least that's how I believe it is.)

Labels are definitely not going to leave, even though self-released, "potentially label-less" music is gaining more importance (look at Minilogue, Remute, Marc Ashken etc.)... However, imagine if Great Stuff, Poker Flat and Cocoon started offering free releases.... wouldn't they be able to reach out to even more people than now? Of course, that would ultimately only benefit the artist (more listeners -> more fans -> more gigs) but as the revenue and income coming from actual music purchases gets smaller and smaller, can't you see that this MAY (for some people/labels etc.) be a possible way to actually distribute and release?.... Cocoon or whatever could still do "big label nights" and people would still go see the artists, don't you think?

Mainstream music distribution is already changing (just look at Spotify), so maybe our niche's progress could start with bigger labels adopting Archipel's release method.. ?
xxmmxx
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by xxmmxx »

If it wasn't for my friend giving me 'illegaly' downloaded deadmau5 tracks I would never have heard of the guy. This is just one example of several artists that I have discovered this way. Deadmau5 is coming to town in a couple of weeks and guess who's going to see him? So he may not make money off music sales off me, but I'm paying to see him live, so he makes money off that.

Before I was signed, my dream was always to have my songs shared by other people. I always envisioned that one day my tracks would be shared on the net somewhere, and sure enough soon after my first release my friend downloaded an illegal copy of my tracks.. which he then gave to me.
I was so happy!!!! I realise that people who download my songs without paying would never have paid for it. I consider this free advertising. They will probably share that with their friends, who will maybe like it, then will keep an eye out for my name in the future. I'm still better off than if 10 people downloaded my songs and never told anyone about it!!!!!! I'd rather be on 10,000 peoples hard drives!!!

Having said that.. I DO buy stuff off beatport several times a month.. but I also get introduced to other stuff through other means!
yacek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yacek »

xxmmxx wrote:I always envisioned that one day my tracks would be shared on the net somewhere, and sure enough soon after my first release my friend downloaded an illegal copy of my tracks.. which he then gave to me.
dude, u made no sense right there at all. lmao. why would he give you your own tracks if you can have the ability to export out the highest quality WAV file on your own computer.
xxmmxx
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by xxmmxx »

yacek: that was part of the fun, the novelty of it all.. he was like hey this is your song, i downloaded it, here you go! it had a jpg of the cover and a NFO file as well.. i was quite flattered!!!
yacek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yacek »

I mean I understand your perspective of giving away tracks for free, and that should be the choice of the artist to do that... but if an artist chooses to release their stuff then respect that and don't steal what they worked hard to make.