that dub techno chord

- ask away
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

that dub techno chord

Post by MagpieIndustries »

In lots of dub techno there's quite often a stabby chord with delay type of sound. It also often sounds like it goes through some kind of resonator or unsual filter. I'd appreciate some tips for reproducing this.
lcvl
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lcvl »

any kind of sound/chord basically works, with some filtering, mod fx, reverb and delay.

there's no magic recipe.
Dubby music & free samples http://leocavallo.bandcamp.com
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

actually, contrary to popular belief, for dubby chords there is a common and easy formula. As a starting point for you you can have your synth play two saw wavs on the same note but different octaves, adjust vce, add bandpass or lowpass filter with a bit of attack, add some delay, maaybe a subtle phaser, add some lfo on the filter cutoff, play two or three stabs per pattern with small chords (say C and F, dont know the technical term for this). Then clone the synth but let increase the decay and sustan on the vce and the attack on the filter envelope and play in the background. Et voila, dub.

but of course mate, asking how to achieve a certain sound is frowned upon and you have to let your inner self out in your daw.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Use a computer.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MagpieIndustries »

Carl Smart wrote:but of course mate, asking how to achieve a certain sound is frowned upon and you have to let your inner self out in your daw.
I frown upon artistic, expressionist wankers. Every man and his fucking dog has to sound different, and they don't even know why.

I just wanna make that dubby chord, thanks for your tips :)
brooksmosher
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by brooksmosher »

ask Lee Perry.
_________

my music

Post by sorgenkind »

EQ is the key
just go a bit crazy with it and voilà
Josie K
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Josie K »

MagpieIndustries wrote:
Carl Smart wrote:but of course mate, asking how to achieve a certain sound is frowned upon and you have to let your inner self out in your daw.
I frown upon artistic, expressionist wankers. Every man and his fcking dog has to sound different, and they don't even know why.

I just wanna make that dubby chord, thanks for your tips :)
That's some attitude ... I like it :)
My music at | Soundcloud | MySpace |