What extent should Bass be mono?

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

prussell wrote:
hydrogen wrote:don't follow any of these rules.
not good advice if vinyl is the end product....
It's fine advice as long as you checkthe bass mix in mono for phasing issues. The mastering engineer can mix the low end down if there is a problem.

I used to think otherwise but I think this is a bullshit rule that doesn't need to be followed so strictly... I'm not saying to go ad a chorus to all your kicks... But definetly experiment with stereo stuff all together and don't get hung up on it.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

Robert Henke talks with Rashad Becker
Does this imply that you can cut more complex signals if they are in mono than if they are stereo?

Well in mono they are less complex, so mono signals might cause slightly less problems. But there is a huge myth about that you can only cut bass in mono, thats something which is really resistantly in producer's heads, its absolutely not true!

I have been cutting several thousand of vinyls and I really have to think hard about when ever I had to cripple a stereo bass signal beyond musical recognition because it wasn't translatable to vinyl. That might be three cases, in all that years.
People should not bother about that, they should make the music the way they feel it should sound like!!!!

99% of problems related to phase can be corrected in the mastering room effortlessly without making a musical disaster out of the piece. With most phase adjustments that need to be done for vinyl, you can nicely live, and I never experienced somebody who was really shocked or totally unhappy with the result. Of course in the high days of IDM there were a couple of pieces that had 180 degrees out of phase full level 50 Hz sine waves and such, and that gives you problems...
But that is so much the exception that it is not in balance that every producer thakes this so strongly into account which just keeps him away from making music. People should focus on sculpting colors the way they feel it should be, and not think about the post-production.

People should not make music for post-production.
http://www.monolake.de/interviews/mastering.html
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

In nine out of ten stereos I have seen even at clubs the lowend is pushed through the subs mono anyways so I wouldnt worry much about it. If the stereo system your talking about has a stereo bass setup it should sound the same as it does in your mix. as long as you check your mixdwn in mono for phase issues you should be fine on all other systems as well..

If your worried about vinyl cutting the engineer will probably guide you on what to do when he starts working on your track.

Just trust your ears man. Rules are overrated.
brooksmosher
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by brooksmosher »

prussell wrote:
BlueFog wrote:
prussell wrote:
BlueFog wrote:apply the delay to the high freq's only.
but if the kick/bass and delay is in mono it should be fine, correct?
it probably wouldn't. applying delay to the low bass frequencies would make the whole track sound muddy, i think. the delayed bass would probably interfere with the kick drum and other sounds too.
apologies, i was speaking of the kick drum...i.e. a small contained delay to the kick to produce a staggered extra kick, so long it was still in mono. i realize this usually isn't the norm, just saying it can be done for certain circumstances (thinking specifically Gas/Biosphere/etc).
just do a high pass shelf on the delay return above 100 hertz.
_________

my music

Post by prussell »

brooksmosher wrote:just do a high pass shelf on the delay return above 100 hertz.
and there you have it.
when are you moving back here??

:P
brooksmosher
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by brooksmosher »

prussell wrote:
brooksmosher wrote:just do a high pass shelf on the delay return above 100 hertz.
and there you have it.

where, to Ferndale? i guess as soon as i pick up a TR-707 and a Space Echo...
_________

my music

Post by brooksmosher »

prussell wrote:
and there you have it.

btw, when are you gonna let me hear some tracks?
_________

my music

Post by prussell »

brooksmosher wrote:btw, when are you gonna let me hear some tracks?
when you move back here.
you know they only make sense in Detroit.... :P