demos - mastered or unmastered?

- open
lauschpegel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by lauschpegel »

do you think I can just leave the louder compression?
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

Gummo wrote:With a demo you are probably trying to impress a label, so IMO it's best if you actually DO spend some time for a "rough master", even if it's not going to be used -- adding a randomly picked limiter preset or something like that is probably going to just ruin the dynamics of a track and make it sound WORSE.
i don't listen to the mastering when i get demos (i know where the volume slider is)
i listen to the music as that's what's matters to me the most and that's what will ultimately impress me (or not...)
menos160
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by menos160 »

the key is in the mixdown
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Atheory wrote:
Gummo wrote:With a demo you are probably trying to impress a label, so IMO it's best if you actually DO spend some time for a "rough master", even if it's not going to be used -- adding a randomly picked limiter preset or something like that is probably going to just ruin the dynamics of a track and make it sound WORSE.
well, it will make it sound louder as for worse/better, who knows? depends on hows its mixed really
in a demo louder would be the thing your going for. Only inexperienced people would kill the dynamics. People who have taken the time to read up on this stuff will only use a limiter to make slight improvements. Anyway most labels will listen to demos as demos and not finished productions.
A-Dreamer
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by A-Dreamer »

while on the subject, what does a demo consist of ? what is it's form ? i've never sent anything to a label so far, but when i feel satisfied with a project, i plan to. so a demo isn't the final version of a track ? or is it just a part of it ?
mindful matters
soundcloud.com/son-der
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

A-Dreamer wrote:while on the subject, what does a demo consist of ? what is it's form ? i've never sent anything to a label so far, but when i feel satisfied with a project, i plan to. so a demo isn't the final version of a track ? or is it just a part of it ?
final track of course, but you don't need to spend too much time trying to master it. Make a good mixdown and sent the track finished.
Spent some time socializing with the labels you find interesting and whom fits to your sound. Then at some point send them an email asking how to approach them (some like emails/other cd's).
Then write just a short note about yourself. Where have you released before, are you dj'ing, residencies and so on, and then send it off.
Wait

wait

wait
CullenMiller
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by CullenMiller »

what sample rate, bit depth and format(.mp3 or .wav) would you send it in?
Last edited by CullenMiller on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CullenMiller
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by CullenMiller »

do you send artwork?