deep and solid kickdrum

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

teknobryan wrote:
AK wrote:I'm sorry but a lot of this is just production bullshit. There's no 'secret' formula to make any kick.

Too many people starting out think there is this elusive, ultimate kick.....

It doesn't exist, sure, there are good starting points or samples but ultimately, you can mix any sound into a production providing there's room for it.

how is layering a sine wave production bullshit? Especially when you can hear it?
I'm not saying it doesn't work, I'm sure it could well do if you do it right - as could a lot of other things. What I was getting at is that you can try all these time consuming techniques ( I have tried a load ) and end up right back where you started. IE: Not satisfied.

Ultimately, it's still down to mixing and good source sounds/samples
Poolside
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Poolside »

'phase inversion and whatever crap' ...
IMO..

Phase is at least as important to understand as EQ and Compression

EQ and Comp are 'basics'????

nah.

audio is basic.. sounds. phase.

Phase is just the time relationship of waves with each other. inside the box, or in the air around our heads. If you read up and get an understanding of how sound and changes in air pressure(which music is) work, and understand that so much of what we do involves 'big' low frequencies and their susceptibility to phase problems, this can help you use this element to whatever end you want.

Lo frequency harmonics can cancel each other out and go so far as to remove the 'bass' from a mix when you take it in the car or wherever.

I'm sure there's lots of good wiki-w/e out there on audio, phase, acoustics, and lots of people to give tips on this, people with more experience listening to, and mixing music, than I have.
Poolside
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Poolside »

AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Poolside wrote:Image
But what's that got to with a kickdrum? How many kicks are you having played at the same time?

If it sounds rubbish, you can hear it.
Poolside
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Poolside »

AK wrote: But what's that got to with a kickdrum? How many kicks are you having played at the same time?

If it sounds rubbish, you can hear it.
True Fact!

Earlier man was saying phase was some quirky gimmick-biz.
Which is not true. Thats what said producer was taking in mind when combining bass and kicks and flipping phases? maybe?

but
what it sounds like is the most important thing I guess....NBD...
music first.
Poolside
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Poolside »

I just think it's important for people to remember and think about sound in today's world of do-all-software and technology. To know what the buttons/functions in a program are actually doing to the sound. You are right about getting past 'mix secrets' etc., cuz they don't exist.
Ronny Pries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ronny Pries »

Poolside wrote:Earlier man was saying phase was some quirky gimmick-biz.
Which is not true. Thats what said producer was taking in mind when combining bass and kicks and flipping phases? maybe?
You've got me horribly wrong there. I said that the two most important and ever used things to make a solid kick in dance music history are EQ and compression.

Period.
Always think twice.
Poolside
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Poolside »

Ronny Pries wrote:
Poolside wrote:Earlier man was saying phase was some quirky gimmick-biz.
You've got me horribly wrong there. I said that the two most important and ever used things to make a solid kick in dance music history are EQ and compression.

Period.
Srry. I was referring to an earlier post, not yours. Yours is right. Agreed.
Someone else threw an idea in with ideas that didn't relate to it. NBD.

EQ and Comp <--totally agree.

Stacking compressors is sexy....that's an awesome aspect of digital audio..mmmm!