piracy does anyone even bother?

- ask away
yacek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yacek »

@ pheek... the train of thought that pirates go through isn't very logical, I find trying to figure it out is just a waste of time, better spend our energy as artists making music. sorry to hear u had that kind of experience.
crashkurs_assembler
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by crashkurs_assembler »

remember that some of these "fucking assholes" who download your music are the ones who spend entrance fee to the party where you're playing and i think that's the area where you earn more money..you cannot pirate the feeling and energy of a party..
i'm not a fan of piracy but to be honest - i was a child which was taping everything from radio and cd - like a lot of other guys in this forum i guess.
i know that the quality of a tape is way different to the quality of a mp3 but mp3 compared to cd/vinyl is garbage, too, so if people are only "steeling" my music in mp3 format, i'm completely okay with it..
Broken
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Broken »

this is a really funny subject, theres many different areas at play

i mean im sure we all would like to see our sales if piracy didnt exsist....

but you have to bare in mind not all pirated downloads = lost sales, and some can even bring you sales in.

damn its such a grey area....

Here were taking the stand that were adding ALLSORTs of extra content and value to what we offer with our releases, Printed Framed Artworks, DJ Tools, Video, and also trying to position ourselves to appeal to those looking for more...but also with a mind to engage and jump on the opportunities which may arise from new distribution channels & models.

SO yeah not many answer at the mo but its very important to keep an open mind i think and remember that this piracy is So widespread it is basically the general public doing this, and there not evil people...there is just Nothing out there that meets there needs, so there should be change and should be some compromises....where and when i do not know..
Broken
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Broken »

pheek wrote:
I once ended up on a forum where they were sharing my music. This guy was saying "Pheek got a new release, where can i download it? any seeds?" Alright for the compliment, dude likes my music but it's lazy as hell. He could take 2 minutes and buy it.

So I see this and me with my big loud mouth, I stop by to say "hi, thanks, hello, but would be nice to buy to make me happy." Just being nice and to open a dialog, nothing rude.

A few people tell me to f*ck off and that basically, to shut the f*ck up about sharing that they were going to do it anyway.

(!&?@)!@?

There's something i don't get and maybe someone can explain me here. Now, like before I started to make music, artists are more than often heroes for me and a source of inspiration. I more than often aspire to meet them in real life if possible and would like to know them. If I'd meet an artist i like online, I wouldn't just have fun to tell him to f*ck off...?

Not only you share my music but you also stab me for doing it.

So weird. So so so weird...
Wow thats shocked me Pheek, i myself also look up to my favorite artists as role models, and they inspire me in many ways...it doesnt make sense at all....

but then what about the public internet has ever made sence, been polite?? hah youtube comments for example.
crashkurs_assembler
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by crashkurs_assembler »

a forum for sharing pirated mp3s is maybe the wrong place to ask for buying music.. i wouldnt go into a whorehouse to ask people why they dont get a girlfriend the regular way - this forum here might be a better place to discuss new ways of distribution
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

crashkurs_assembler wrote:a forum for sharing pirated mp3s is maybe the wrong place to ask for buying music.. i wouldnt go into a whorehouse to ask people why they dont get a girlfriend the regular way - this forum here might be a better place to discuss new ways of distribution

But you are actually targeting the right people when asking that kind of questions on a forum like that, right?
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

^^^ Yep... File sharing is a proper pain in the arse. What really fucks me off is that digital files are so cheap.

I think the problem lies within the value of music. Why would someone pay when they can get it for free? Music’s value has gone down quite a lot since the rise in digital sales; people simply are not valuing it anymore. This is why we hear the phrase 'throwaway' all the time. People still pay for bits of vinyl, because it’s of value to the person buying it.

I know some people are going to come back and say 'but music is of value to me' so to you fairplay and I’m with you, but for most its not. I know people who download from blogs all the time and they don’t see anything wrong with it.

It’s the same with every section of music media. Look at software developers working hard as fck to provide us with things like Ableton, Cubase and Logic, but still people rip them off all the time. I bet there are many users here that are using cracked software? It’s the same old excuse all the time…’I can’t afford it’. But I don’t think they are that unaffordable, anyone with a job could afford something like Ableton with a year’s worth of saving. The first thing you should do is buy the software, and everything comes later. I know people with full studios, but cracked software and it makes no sense to me!
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

patrick bateman wrote:
crashkurs_assembler wrote:a forum for sharing pirated mp3s is maybe the wrong place to ask for buying music.. i wouldnt go into a whorehouse to ask people why they dont get a girlfriend the regular way - this forum here might be a better place to discuss new ways of distribution

But you are actually targeting the right people when asking that kind of questions on a forum like that, right?
Exactly.

And i mean, i was not even obnoxious or rude because i have nothing against piracy - i gave up on it. My vision is like: waking up one morning with your hand being dead and have it cut off, replaced with something else, you learn how to live with it, not the same life but totally tolerable.
But yeah, not sure why now my dead hand is giving 8)