Max...

- ask away
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

s.k. wrote:aah i get it you mean you want to work with the bins directly... man why would you want to if i care to ask? thats a rather unusual way for any reasonable goal.. unless you are aphex twin eheheh
pm'd you. thanks.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

pheek wrote:
s.k. wrote: about maxforlive
am i the only one who feels kinda sad about it??? they fcking gave away the last best kept secret damnit... they made it too easy, so now everyone will be able to access it and tons of ready patches will start floating around, and it will become just like reaktor - tons of users who brag about using it but actually doing nothing but using ready patches/ensembles, which is no different than using a vsti.
Let's not fall into agnotology here, please. It's not because Max will be out there that we'll be doomed. You're falling into the whole debate of electronic music: they're making it easier so it's bad. That is so 1992 :lol:

The usual answer to this is: for those who were not tech savvy, it will open doors to make things they weren't able to do before. Thus said, some unknown figures might hatch of music you, yes YOU, might love, who knows!

Yes, there will be people bragging they know MAX but who cares, seriously. Whenever i tell people I do electronic music for living, i hear back from strangers "oh yes, my cousin (or nephew, or neighbor, or etc) does it too"; then they point me out to a lame Myspace page that 99% of the time sucks.

The music will always speaks for itself. This is why I'm way more interested in people who don't talk about themselves/their music than those who go out there claiming how much they know about stuff.
Yep. Who cares if its easy. The music is the most imporant thing, and if its good I couldnt care less how they made it.
Holva
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Holva »

just to clear things up about Max's "timing being awful", Max5 introduced the transport && timepoint objects which cleared that up. the biggest benefit of Max For Live won't be better timing, better timing came about with Max5.

and on the Live being prototyped in Max debate, the closest thing to Live before Live was a patch made by Shawn Hatfield (twerk), which I am pretty sure was the inspiration for Live.
Holva
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Holva »

just found that twerk patch, haven't seen it in a while.

its called Camel Toe.

* i tried to post a picture but can't get the commands to work on mnml. sorry. heres the link.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1433/106 ... fe.jpg?v=0
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

check it out, the max heads are popping up. how about registering in 2006, with 28 posts up to now... cool :) Holva thx for the info on both subjects.

Pheek, you sound right thats for sure. i agree that if it brings something new to the table technically, making it easier is more than welcome. my question tho is, does it really? if its at all possible answering before the release ofcourse...

ok, you will make a Pheek PlugIn, and i will be able to open it up directly in my ableton and sequence it away. cool! but except for compatibility, does it offer any major technical advance? in other words, what is it that you were not able to do before that you will be able to do now?

besides, oblioblioblio was right when he said they didnt make it any easier, just more accessible - i see it in the form of a flood of the same max patches used over and over in every second release, just like now with the reaktor ensembles.

but these are just questions im asking to myself, i have no doubt that this will have many good sides to it too, and you are definitely right - music will always speak for itself.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

meant to say earlier, but i've had loads of problems with timing in max, mostly from the side of using an MPC to trigger samples and things. but yeah, a lot of it was my own fault, i'd say.

i don't have 5 yet though, so i can't say anything about the improvements, but i found that running as a rewire in live improved a lot of the problems, but then i had latency issues. once again, probably linked to my shoddy, inefficent workmanship.
Holva
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Holva »

@s.k.

yeah, hopefully you will me around here more. I've never spent much time posting (except back in the good ol' raver days) but i'd like to get back into it, and this seems like a proper board to do so.

@Atheory

if you ever want me to take a look at your patches i might be able to help you out by just simply throwing some abstractions i have lying around into your patch, i've often found that people are confused by the seq and seq~ objects, but they are actually a lot simpler then they appear. I'm actually working in max pretty much full time right now for my job, so there is probably things i could just copy and paste into your patches quickly and painlessly (but this also depends on the similarities of our patching styles... if you do everything in a totally different way then me I could become too confused to spend the time figuring it out.)
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

s.k. wrote:yes but how can you be sure? theres too much money involved already and serious corporate interests... max/msp dates since quite awhile you know, and its users too - a true community. believe it or not, some of them remember the patch called live!, which was spread freely back in the day amongst them... and also, what kind of a genious musician will invent something directly in C++? no logic at all...

live is invented in max! then its rewritten in C++, which is a lower-level language. thats the common practice i believe with most of audio softs... on the cycling74 forum there are constanly requests about experienced max programmers - mostly these are people/companies with ideas of new vst's/softs looking for someone to program a prototype. firstly theres the prototype, then is completely rewritten/optimized at lower level to be CPU friendly, and for copyright reasons...

at least thats my truth dont wanna try to convince anyone...

oh sorry one more thing. who was the guy with the live! idea that sold it to guys with money who called it ableton? a guy named Henke right? how come this guy has pretty awesome (amazingly deep) knowledge about max/msp? in fact he's been a rather respected member of that same community for years if not decades...you know, lets try and ask him - does he know anything about programming C++? but you maybe right Storlon, who knows...
Gerhard Behles founded ableton, he was a coder/dev for NI (he's one of the guy behind Generator, the first gen Reaktor)
It's true that "some of the ideas" came from max (and Reaktor), but as said by Mr Henke :
" According to an old myth Live is based on a MAX patcher. This would be completely impossible to do! "

Have a little read from Robert himself...
;)
:arrow: www.monolake.de/technology/ableton_live.html