fck BEATPORT...

- open
alex tomb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by alex tomb »

if we like it or not,beatport is on top of the game, and has the highest % of releases out there to sell.
one thing I learned is that, if Beatport doesn't has the release I'm looking for,I don't look anywhere else,just wait...
correct me if I am wrong...
and is so user friendly and yes if u search well u can find a lot of weird staff...
dyte
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dyte »

juno, stompy and clickgroove all have stuff marked as exclusive too, so guessing that they'll have stuff that beatport doesn't.
alex tomb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by alex tomb »

oh sorry,im just mentioning about techno,which is the genre i"m only into...
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

xumara wrote:
1. sure, it's the label's's own choice whether they want to sign as exclusive. but the way i see it this sort of exclusivity is a discrimination for the shoppers/fans that do like the label but would like to shop it's music elsewhere than beatport. and believe me, there are still a few of us that don't want to spend their money in beatport(i.e. for reasons i explained earlier) , but are obliged to do it in order to get their favourite music.
then shouldn't you be nagging to the label instead of Beatport? Because EVERY download store has exclusives. Just like every vinyl store has very limited stuff. Hardwax and Decks as prime examples. And it's the label that decides whether a track is exclusive or not. And if a label doesn't give it as an exclusive, it's also cheaper for 'the fans'.

As for the 'beatport is too big' issue: It's like only wanting to buy at a small local vinyl shop, but expecting that they would pack 100000 records like Juno. And then installing some robot that can magically find every record in your particular taste that's in the warehouse, just by thinking of it.

Finding good music takes effort, and just like in the vinyl stores, where you have to spend hours and hours digging through the crates, you will have to spend a couple of hours to dig your way through the catalogue of beatport or juno or whatever. I think this is a vital part of being a good dj: taking the time and putting in the effort to find good music that the others don't play.
brownlow
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by brownlow »

PsyTox wrote:
xumara wrote:
1. sure, it's the label's's own choice whether they want to sign as exclusive. but the way i see it this sort of exclusivity is a discrimination for the shoppers/fans that do like the label but would like to shop it's music elsewhere than beatport. and believe me, there are still a few of us that don't want to spend their money in beatport(i.e. for reasons i explained earlier) , but are obliged to do it in order to get their favourite music.
then shouldn't you be nagging to the label instead of Beatport? Because EVERY download store has exclusives. Just like every vinyl store has very limited stuff. Hardwax and Decks as prime examples. And it's the label that decides whether a track is exclusive or not. And if a label doesn't give it as an exclusive, it's also cheaper for 'the fans'.

As for the 'beatport is too big' issue: It's like only wanting to buy at a small local vinyl shop, but expecting that they would pack 100000 records like Juno. And then installing some robot that can magically find every record in your particular taste that's in the warehouse, just by thinking of it.

Finding good music takes effort, and just like in the vinyl stores, where you have to spend hours and hours digging through the crates, you will have to spend a couple of hours to dig your way through the catalogue of beatport or juno or whatever. I think this is a vital part of being a good dj: taking the time and putting in the effort to find good music that the others don't play.
Agreed.

I do occasionally by things from Beatport and I don't mind the interface but the sheer volume of music on there is an issue and there isn't really an method that's intuitive enough for discovering new music. At your local record shop, you get to know the staff, they get to know you, and that interaction is something a web-shop will never be able to achieve. Still, Beatport isn't bad from a consumer's point of view. I don't know what the experience is on the trade side of things - from what I've read it's not perfect, but it's not exactly appalling either.
I think vinyl is here to stay for a long time. CDs will soon be dead, at least as a commercial music format, and we'll have these two fantastic formats to choose from. It's win-win, especially if you buy both vinyl and mp3. I buy more vinyl than I do mp3 when it comes to electronic, but having mp3 available is great. Usually I'll find something on vinyl that I don't necessarily wish to buy but would like to own....then I buy digital. But recently I've been looking at the digital only labels and it's a whole new world. It's all out there, it just depends on how you want to access it and have it delivered. I tend to use beatport in conjunction with kompakt-mp3, boomkat, juno, etc, in the same way that I visit different record shops. At least we have the option!
TwelveHundred
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TwelveHundred »

b-ran wrote: but because of the adobe flash problem im boycotting beatport at the moment..
Yeah, me too! No workie workie for me.
HEFTY
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by HEFTY »

primevil wrote:
livecollective wrote: if i love a new record label or 'underground' artist, whether i have found them through a random browse on myspace, through a friend or through some experimental radio show/podcast, i will then check on beatport to see if it's been released on there. if it hasn't, then i'll contact the producer, find another way (legally) or hunt down the 12' record if I have to.
thats exactly what i use it for, id say its impossible (unless u have sh!t loads of time on your hands) to successfully browse on beatport. this increasingly becoming the case with all music dwnload sites, theres so much sh!t out there that the good stuff gets swamped by cack and i personally get disheartened trawling throught 300 sh!t tracks and end up buying maybe 1 if im lucky.

so yeah it is annoying, i think myspace is the best place to find new fresh and exciting music, its the random serbian producer or the random australian producer who dont have the beatport (etc) connections but make good exciting music

as with all genres tho theres good stuff and theres sh!t stuff. i guess it boils down to: how willing and able are you to search for the hidden gems?
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: fck BEATPORT...

Post by Torque »

livecollective wrote: maybe its time to give up selling all together....
I'm not happy with the 40% they take, then the 20% from Intergroove leaving us the label with the smaller %, but that’s a whole different thing.
You let your distributor have a deal where they handle your digital licensing rights? Why even bother having a label then? You're losing 20% over something that you could do by yourself very easily. Was this part of a P&D deal, or do you handle the manufacturing of the physical product?