Drums in deep house

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

for deep warm tones and textures i dont think you can beat the Moog.
buts its monophonic, so you're talking using it for one sound in each tune.
thats why i bought it myself, i just wanted one quality sound generator in my set up.
the Prophet 8 is more flexible, multitimbral, but for me it doesnt quite have the lush tone of the Moog. saying that, its probably the next synth i will buy when i've got the cash.
I have heard a couple of tracks made from the Moog and they are lovely. Check out Dan Berkson & James What for anyone looking to see what the Moog sounds like within house and techno: http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF319221-01-01-01.mp3 or http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF319635-01-02-02.mp3 The main riff on this was done on one of the Moogs...

When you say monophonic you mean can only be recorded into one channel right? You could bounce down the audio of the synth right and then use another sound on a different channel? I just looked at the price tag for the Moogs..ha...£1,468.08. Cant see me ever having that sort of money to spend on synths.

Thanks for your advice.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

monophonic means you can only play 1 note at a time.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

tone-def wrote:monophonic means you can only play 1 note at a time.
Ah thats no good for me then as I like to play polyphonically.
mokaz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mokaz »

With someone like Agnes he is using a lot of samples/loops. I have a couple of his tracks that have taken loops from the major sample cd's. Maybe have a look at these sample cds to get an idea. I often listen to samples to try and recreate them.
I'd bee really suprised to hear ONE looped beats from Agnes on any sample cd. I know he'd never do that, he's programing all it's beats sample by sample because this is what make him stand out of the rest!
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

mokaz wrote:
With someone like Agnes he is using a lot of samples/loops. I have a couple of his tracks that have taken loops from the major sample cd's. Maybe have a look at these sample cds to get an idea. I often listen to samples to try and recreate them.
I'd bee really suprised to hear ONE looped beats from Agnes on any sample cd. I know he'd never do that, he's programing all it's beats sample by sample because this is what make him stand out of the rest!
Im intrueged, examples please? Agnes rocks
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

I was talking more about production here of all sounds, not just beats. I know of a few, but I have got about 50gigs of samples so not going to go through all of them just to prove a point.

Here is one example though as I made a track with the same sampled loop, then heard it in his track: http://www.zshare.net/audio/536906688e54ea69/
and the orginal is Cavalier 'deep rider' which you can listen to at http://www.myspace.com/drumpoet

I have got all the Agnes stuff and regardless of him using loops, I still think his music is quality. My point is though, samples (on this board) seem to get a proper slagging off and its getting quite tiresome so I just wanted to point out a few people that are highly regarded on this forum use samples from these packs we all love to bash.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

if you like that sound, play some minor / major 7's with lounge lizard at low velocity (<65, i set a velocity limit to all ep's at 70), the "chorused rhodes" preset is the one to look for.

well spotted though!
mokaz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mokaz »

::BLM:: wrote: I have got all the Agnes stuff and regardless of him using loops, I still think his music is quality. My point is though, samples (on this board) seem to get a proper slagging off and its getting quite tiresome so I just wanted to point out a few people that are highly regarded on this forum use samples from these packs we all love to bash.
Yeah well, i still don't get your point, Agnes make his own stuff without coping stupidly what the other does and this is why he stands out. And he'll never just boldly loop one's other loop (beatwise) to make a track. Now if there as been "harmony samples" used in his music that are here and there it could be, but please try not to discredit anyone's work without ever been behind that same one screen/machines to see how it's done; you're just speculating on something you don't know.