mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Celltek wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
Celltek wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
Celltek wrote:
I hope for that other label's sake that they preserve their sound and not sell out.
Good for your friend, but I really can't see why it has anything to do with 'selling out'... strange comment.
Ookay.. let me put it like this. Imagine Esperanza for example (!), which always has a consistent high quality techno output but then for some reason decides that their new "creative direction" is house. This is what the label in question implied. Call it what you want, I call it selling out.
So a label can't change direction without being called a sell out?
Strange.
Whats strange is that you dont read my post :? Patrick, what else do you make of a underground techno label choosing to make commerically inclined music.
The guys behind the labels are humans too, they can change taste too, they can have a new idea for the label, many things can be the reason.. also as you say that they want to TRY and make more money...
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

Celltek wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
Celltek wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
Celltek wrote:
I hope for that other label's sake that they preserve their sound and not sell out.
Good for your friend, but I really can't see why it has anything to do with 'selling out'... strange comment.
Ookay.. let me put it like this. Imagine Esperanza for example (!), which always has a consistent high quality techno output but then for some reason decides that their new "creative direction" is house. This is what the label in question implied. Call it what you want, I call it selling out.
Strange.
Whats strange is that you dont read my post :? Patrick, what else do you make of a underground techno label choosing to make commerically inclined music.
I know it sucks, but you can't stop it. In the end it's not about selling out, it's about selling records...

Ideologies will never win from reality...
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Gummo wrote:
patrick bateman wrote: okay fair enough... if selling out is to not go bankrupt, then fair enough. I'll agree with you guys...
I understand what you're saying and I know money plays a big part, there's nothing wrong in looking at the market *too*, but don't you think there is a very big difference between recieving a really good house tune and signing it.... and telling a techno artist to add "more house" to their stuff to get signed?
Nope.
Zsa Zsa
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Zsa Zsa »

i saw a comment somewhere about 'trend...'

house music is not a trend. its been around for decades.

i also feel there is nothing wrong with change. if a label wants to evolve by taking new directions -- going by the assumed allotted freedom of expression and creation -- they should be entitled to do so and without being judged for doing so.

a label has the right to dismiss any piece of material if it does not coincide with their vision, and the artist should accept this and look for a label to best represent their sound. i dont feel the need for harshness, unless of course - the label told you to f*ck off. that would be another story.

movement through musical expression should be free, and considered a journey and not a selling out point -- unless the label distinctly says: we're in it for the money ... (or if its just plain flippin' obvious that they are).
"Upon the highest throne in the world, we are seated, still, upon our arses." .. Michel de Montaigne
Shadi Megallaa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shadi Megallaa »

I completely agree with Suz, a label has the right to change the direction of their sound.. They also have tastes that might change, and ofcourse house music is the core of all of this.. its always been around, many people will want to go to their roots and that makes sense.. its like a breathe of fresh air for them.. i am finding myself ripping more and more of my older records and enjoying playing them all over again.. don't think thats considered selling out..
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Shadi my man, you are a sell out !

:lol:
Zsa Zsa
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Zsa Zsa »

soul was a good thing, the last time i checked :)
"Upon the highest throne in the world, we are seated, still, upon our arses." .. Michel de Montaigne
Celltek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Celltek »

patrick bateman wrote:
Celltek wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
Celltek wrote:
patrick bateman wrote: Good for your friend, but I really can't see why it has anything to do with 'selling out'... strange comment.
Strange.
The guys behind the labels are humans too, they can change taste too, they can have a new idea for the label, many things can be the reason.. also as you say that they want to TRY and make more money...
I cant speak for the label so money could be a reason yes..