vinyl vs digital, cd, mp3...

- open
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

Der geile Ami, read this:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm

take particular note of this: "Some sounds that have very quick transitions, such as a drum beat or a trumpet's tone, will be distorted because they change too quickly for the sample rate."

what does minimal techno usually consist of? that's right, tight percussion and trumpets :) if ever there is a genre that heavily relies on sound quality to really enjoy it would be minimal techno/house. especially the clicky stuff, anything with short duration sounds that have high attack/release in its ADSR.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

stevësto wrote:Der geile Ami, read this:

take particular note of this: "Some sounds that have very quick transitions, such as a drum beat or a trumpet's tone, will be distorted because they change too quickly for the sample rate."

what does minimal techno usually consist of? that's right, tight percussion and trumpets :) if ever there is a genre that heavily relies on sound quality to really enjoy it would be minimal techno/house. especially the clicky stuff, anything with short duration sounds that have high attack/release in its ADSR.
If you have heard even just one cd that sounded good, that negates teh articles argument. Consider how much electronic music that has been made with even more primitive digital technology. The alternatives to digital are tape and vinyl, which will have their own surface noises, which negates other points in the article.

And who is going to hear the differences in those transitions given the avg acoustic smear in a given room? The ears themselves behave digitally. We only have so many receptor cells and tehy can only trigger a signal so fast and have downtime before the next signal can be sent to the brain. Is that not how digital approaches a continuous flow? 24 bit vs cells, 96khz vs trigger speed and recovery?

As for the first reply, I still say that room acoustics have more to do with sound than dsps in consumer vs pro gear. However, a mastered wav files played through a converter of sufficient quality to have been used in the production of the music itself, such as rme or motu, would make that a moot point.

I know 808 and 909 owners that sold their units and never looked back with a machine drum They are not the end all of electronic music for me, apprximations as starting points for new soudns are perfectly acceptable
freeeeeee
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

Found this on djhistory forums and really enjoyed watching this.
It's long (around 150 minutes) but a very very nice video about audio.
http://philoctetes.org/Past_Programs/De ... ty_Matters
miroslav
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miroslav »

after the numerous iterations of this, I've come to the conclusion that there is really no good way to broadly argue along the lines of "vinyl sounds better", "vinyl is better", etc... The only valuable statement for me is something like "I personally prefer vinyl". And I actually do, because I enjoy the experience it gives me. And that experience is not just auditory. It's not a right or wrong issue, just a personal preference.
codecks
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by codecks »

New Guy wrote:Found this on djhistory forums and really enjoyed watching this.
It's long (around 150 minutes) but a very very nice video about audio.
http://philoctetes.org/Past_Programs/De ... ty_Matters
started to watching this, very intresting, thanks!
minimal my ass !
Krul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Krul »

stevësto wrote:Der geile Ami, read this:

very intresting article, thanks. stevësto
cloutier wrote:
minimalwyte wrote:When does Digweed come in?
he comes in around 1994 and leaves around 2002.
Dj Eriktronik
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

ah!

Post by Dj Eriktronik »

lets have this discussion for the billionth time. i think it'll be fun to hear everyones opinions just a few hundred more times.

i think the same!
Just Tronik!!
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: ah!

Post by stevësto »

Dj Eriktronik wrote:lets have this discussion for the billionth time. i think it'll be fun to hear everyones opinions just a few hundred more times.

i think the same!
yes. i agree. lets have this discussion again. because you know what? the other discussions sucked. they were full of bitching and comments such as "lets have this discussion for the billionth time". they were full of opinions. at least this one has some FACTUAL articles to talk about sound quality differences.