Richie Hawtin - Ibiza Voice Porcast

- dj/live pa

Moderators: John Clees, Benjamin Fehr, Tim Tor, Thomas Melchior

Krul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Krul »

I seriously wonder how many of the naysayers above me actually tried to listen to this mix or just skipped through it. I'm at 2:30 now and this is one of his best commercially available sets in ages (much better than the RA podcast) his mixing is furious and I've got no complaints on flow or track selection thus far.

bonus points for the extra-loud bass :P
cloutier wrote:
minimalwyte wrote:When does Digweed come in?
he comes in around 1994 and leaves around 2002.
primevil
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by primevil »

Krul wrote:I seriously wonder how many of the naysayers above me actually tried to listen to this mix or just skipped through it. I'm at 2:30 now and this is one of his best commercially available sets in ages (much better than the RA podcast) his mixing is furious and I've got no complaints on flow or track selection thus far.

bonus points for the extra-loud bass :P
i actually tried to listen to this in one go as i always do with most mixes i download in order to give me a time to appreciate the flow, but i just had to switch it off because it was painful on the ears (that didn't help by the distorted recording for the first 2/3rds.

it seems like by surrounding yourself by only a few 'like minded' individuals is having an effect on the taste of his music. it's just sounds like a collage of his own re-hashed idea's, but watered down by 2 or 3 generations (in electronic music thats like 2 or 3 years).

i don't like the way he now uses his effects to constantly stutter the flow of the music and i don't care how much technology he is surrounding him self in, if the music isn't good then i'm not buying into it. what happened to the way he used to use his effects, he always used to be so subtle and well timed with his fx, now it's pretty much every 4bars a real nasty sounding beat stutter or delay feedback is thrown over the top..

if you go back and listen to his 3 de9 mixes starting from decks fx & 909, the difference in standard is almost unbelievable. he may be making his next transition and i may just 'not get it', but my gut tells me that this time, i don't think he has got it right. thats my 2 cents anyway.
minimalwyte
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimalwyte »

I think this mix is pretty fresh. It sounds kinda different from what i've been hearin from him lately..sounds a little housey in the beginning. I think ppl expect too much from Hawtin. Dude's still on the top of my list. Prob will be for a long time. Too many Hawtin haters out there.
primevil
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by primevil »

minimalwyte wrote:I think this mix is pretty fresh. It sounds kinda different from what i've been hearin from him lately..sounds a little housey in the beginning. I think ppl expect too much from Hawtin. Dude's still on the top of my list. Prob will be for a long time. Too many Hawtin haters out there.
i'm not a hawtin hater ;)
dave_essex
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dave_essex »

yeah i also agree it sounds fresh, personally, I don't see what's really that bad about it.
acidcriminal
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by acidcriminal »

from which club and date is this set ?
primevil
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by primevil »

dave_essex wrote:yeah i also agree it sounds fresh, personally, I don't see what's really that bad about it.
have you managed to see him live yet? or any of the big dogs, just out of interest?
Kilevox
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Kilevox »

awesome set
www.myspace.com/benryser
www.benryser.com

.... minimal is not a hype ....