Live acts using Reason

- ask away
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

northernlight wrote:A Guy Called Gerald play live with two laptops with reason and a DJ mixer.

I don't know how it exactly works, but i assume he's syncing the two laptops via midi and then has a channel on the DJ mixer for each laptop output. This and intelligent use of combinators in Reason should get you somewhere.
Yep, that works pretty good, I tried it myself and everything went pratty well. You can even try syncing both computers by yourself, which makes it much more interessting :)
Salomo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Salomo »

i saw it once, but the loops were rushed. it didnt seem very comfortable to me
alexx.wolfe
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by alexx.wolfe »

SHAP wrote:
northernlight wrote:A Guy Called Gerald play live with two laptops with reason and a DJ mixer.

I don't know how it exactly works, but i assume he's syncing the two laptops via midi and then has a channel on the DJ mixer for each laptop output. This and intelligent use of combinators in Reason should get you somewhere.
Yep, that works pretty good, I tried it myself and everything went pratty well. You can even try syncing both computers by yourself, which makes it much more interessting :)
This should be the idea I like most eheh

Thank you all! :D
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

alexx.wolfe wrote:
SHAP wrote:

This should be the idea I like most eheh

Thank you all! :D
this is how acid circus performs... but without the sync.

Best of luck getting the sync working. :D
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
tom ellis
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tom ellis »

Reason's amazingly versatile in a live situation if you use it with a soundcard that has 2 stereo outputs. If you arrange your songs in a relatively CPU friendly way you can easily have 2 instances of reason running on 1 laptop, then route each instance to a different output on your soundcard and use a dj mixer to mix them. It's fairly straight forward to get them in time by riding the BPM.
The only problem i encountered was the fact you can only route midi to 1 instance at a time, but if you spend enough time setting your tracks up to prepare for this it's not too much of a problem.
Hope this helps.
alexx.wolfe
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by alexx.wolfe »

tom ellis wrote:Reason's amazingly versatile in a live situation if you use it with a soundcard that has 2 stereo outputs. If you arrange your songs in a relatively CPU friendly way you can easily have 2 instances of reason running on 1 laptop, then route each instance to a different output on your soundcard and use a dj mixer to mix them. It's fairly straight forward to get them in time by riding the BPM.
The only problem i encountered was the fact you can only route midi to 1 instance at a time, but if you spend enough time setting your tracks up to prepare for this it's not too much of a problem.
Hope this helps.
yap I know =X

Thank you all for the attention ! (:

Just one last little question...what would be the device that I need to use to midi sync both laptops ( each one playing a reason project )
alexx.wolfe
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by alexx.wolfe »

hello?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Come on do just a bit of your own research and post here. please don't expect everyone to drop what they are doing and dig up all their fucking sh!t to drop you some golden knowledge.

Good luck syncing them. seriously... during the middle of your set you are likely going to need to re-sync them. your not going to have much luck doing this. especially loading another track.

This guy is working on a midi clock generator... haha...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fibra/3060533063/

Here is another something...
http://www.doctort.org/adam/category/midisync

You might try another drum machine and sync both laptops up to that as somebody suggested earlier.

After hearing tom ellis's approach on a single laptop. thats definetly a genius way to go. take advice from the pros and avoid midi sync. its not designed to last the length of an entire dj set.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest