Small Local Scenes Dying out?

- open
upekah
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by upekah »

Android wrote:I started a weekly recently here in my town of about 45,000 more than half are college kids.

there have been lots of monthly's popping up lately too

go out on a wed or thurs and talk to 7 or 8 club owners

its hard work being a promoter and also dj / producer

start up your own night, it's much more fun doing your own thing

find a tiny club and start small, build up from there.

invite your dj friends to play, swap shows with crews from out of town

do a monthly at a bigger venue once you get a following

give away mix cd's so people can take the music home with them.

build your brand, and your scene will follow

stop being lazy and complaining ;)

D.I.Y. or DIE!
this post made me "ive to do smth"
plaster wrote:you can't be a leader if are a follower.
lejockey
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lejockey »

here in cambridge we have a healthy local scene, with a massive amount of local talent. There is a techno warehouse party once a month as well as a packed out monthly thursday techno night in a club in town. Previous gests include carl craig, derrick may, andy weatherall, as well as local hero Mark-Henning (now sadly for us living in Berlin). The scene is thriving with really good artists coming to play at packed out parties, despite being only a small town. I think If you work long and hard at something and stick it out then you can build a scene anywhere. We have been running these parties for over 8 years now, and started off in the back rooms of pubs with thirty mates. Slowly over time our crowd became bigger and we were in the position to book bigger names. These days we have a lot of freedom to book who we want to hear knowing that we will have a good turn out not only because of the name playing but because of our hard work building the scene. Coming up over the next few months we have Nathan Fake, Ben Sims, Dave Congreave, Steevio all booked to play. If anyone fancies coming and checking out the parties they are geat fun and I woulpd be more than happy to show you our lovely local scene :)
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

android im going to print out your reply, frame it and put it on my wall
TheWasp
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by TheWasp »

Android hit the nail on the hit ......you have to work, to make it work.

I live in Glasgow and our scene is pretty healthy, which also makes it hard to run a small night. I'd rather have it this way than have a dead town though.
robitaille
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by robitaille »

You all are way too passive. One must step up to make their scene. If you do not like the "popularity" that a new club in town is receiving, then investigate, observe, take note, and borrow all the positive aspects and apply those to your club-base. But I will warn you, sometimes venues receive a stigma that they can never shake. Bad service. Shady attitudes. Shitty sound. Whack crowd.
Dan Robitaille
UnitOvOne RecordingsINNERPLANE
Saint Louis MO USA