Thinner goes to paid downloads: here my reply to them!

- free art
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

sven, i already know your answer is #1, i've got a few of your releases on my HD ; ).

well mr thomasjaldemark, i see your point. and don't get me wrong i'm sad that their music won't be free, but on some of your points.

border community doesn't do more than 3-4 releases a year, but people still pay for them. the number of releases a label has is irrelevant imo. if they are good releases they are worth paying for.

i think the netlabel scene has some created some illusions about music. whether or not you think it takes time and effort and money to run a netlabel like thinner (which it does), they do the same things that labels whom get paid do. the only step left is to turn years of work into a business.

imagine you wrote a collection of stories that you gave away for people to read for free, but someone offers you money to publish one of these stories. any self respecting person trying to make a living would consider making a career out of their passion. of course it changes the culture that thinner represents, but cultural change is a dynamic process, so to judge someone for this is to miss a bigger picture.
Last edited by pafufta816 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vladislav
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by vladislav »

thinner really deserves making some money with their releases.

they put out such great stuff..i think if everyone just downloads free music, it somehow looses its worth.

many people just download and download, and after all they dont really listen to most of the tracks.

there is much work in every quality production..and hours of time to be spend in it, so some bucks for that would be nice, if the quality is high.

i pay for good music. why not?
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

this is the by far the funniest thread this year :lol:

I hardly can believe this discussion...
Rara Avis
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Rara Avis »

let the music speak

http://www.inq-mag.com/2008/12/08/monog ... 4-thinner/

(sorry for the spam)
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

humeka wrote:
eldino wrote:@humeka
I'm curious to see how many of all you guys who agree with Thinner decision, will buy stuff from em ;)
I'm not sure the real question is how many people will now buy music from Thinner. I think it's more how to evolve in a consistently moving distribution scheme or where is the adequacy between musicians and labels needs.

if a label evolve from a free distribution to a remunerative one, it will surely loose some listeners. but it will also win some new ones and these listeners (or now customers) will help the label sticks to its reason of being: delivering music according to its headline, free or not.
Yeah. As always, when the music is quality, it gets some support in the end no matter what.
Catching The Waves
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Catching The Waves »

As I said in the relevant thread at Thinner, the free netlabel scene has been lucky to have Thinner. I've found some marvellous albums there and have always been impressed by the quality and general attention to detail on display throughout the website. Why shouldn't musicians make money from their music? Why shouldn't netlabels?

No one is forcing netlabels to release music for free; no one's forcing listeners to pay for it. Both parties have freedom of choice. The free music/netlabel scene is an experimental endeavour. Much as I'd like all music to be free (because I'm selfish), I also want musicians to gain income from their endeavours if the opportunity arises.

It's their netlabel; they can do whatever they want to. I wish their new business every success. As always, if an album is "sale only" I will buy it if I want it badly enough. If I listen to snippets of Thinner's future releases and fall in love with them then I will pay for their albums outright. And, just to be perverse(!), last week I downloaded an album for free and liked it so much that today I made a donation.

The music scene is a broad church. There's room for everyone - even the non-believers! :lol:
Please visit Catching The Waves if you have a desperate need to read erratic reviews of free netlabel & Creative Commons music. :)
humeka
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by humeka »

Catching The Waves wrote:No one is forcing netlabels to release music for free; no one's forcing listeners to pay for it. Both parties have freedom of choice. The free music/netlabel scene is an experimental endeavour. Much as I'd like all music to be free (because I'm selfish), I also want musicians to gain income from their endeavours if the opportunity arises.
I think so too. +1
dsoul
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dsoul »

as i started tropic thinner was a reason and my most important influence to start a netlabel beside my love for music and the new way of distribution. I think they should earn the fruits of their hard work over the years. its no shame to receive money for a good work as Thinner do.
On the other hand its good that there are people like eldino who truly believe in the idea of netaudio, of free content and beiing ideologic. i can understand both sides :)