Thinner goes to paid downloads: here my reply to them!

- free art
eldino
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by eldino »

humeka wrote:Eldino, I'm curious to know what you think of Archipel and their business model. isn't it a good solution?
They respect a lot the free-releases users and their model is a lot more modern than "all the good releases on beatport"+"occasional crappy releases for free, just because we have some un-sellable tracks available".

Maximum respect to Archipel model (and to LegoEgo model as well).

As I supported 12rec (buying their 12rec050 cd), I'd like to support Archipel in the future buying 2-3 vinyls. But I need to save money and buy a turntable like those cheap ION models first ;)
iTunes, Scripting, Creative Commons, Netlabels, Mac & more: http://eldino.wordpress.com
humeka
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by humeka »

eldino wrote:In my opinion, there are two kinds of musicians:
- those who do music for hobby and like the free-sharing culture, the CC licensing etc;
- those who wants do get paied for their music and use netaudio scene JUST as self-promotion, because they can't get better than that at the moment, and maybe they don't care a fck about the culture behind netaudio; they see netaudio as a tool to use for being famous and get a contract for a real recording label.
I think the way you categorized musicians is simplistic. there is no contradiction in giving music for free sometime and get paid other times. I know some musicians who do this and I absolutely can't think of them as corrupted musicians who betrayed the netlabel scene.
If doing music is a hobby for you, you don't need to be paied for it: you must be enough happy to be listened, reviewed, shared, loved by people all around the world.
who are you to know that I MUST be happy if people listen to my music?
I think it's pretentious to think I must be thankful for the gift listeners made to me by listening to my music.
when you say this, I hear one saying to me: "you better be happy that I listen to your music, without me you wouldn't be nothing, thank me."
don't get me wrong, I'm always happy when somebody tells me he or she likes my music cause I make music for them... but for me too! so here we are at the crossing of a mutual satisfaction.
humeka wrote: but now, if a label propose a musician to earn money for his composition, why not? being paid for your job has never meant you were sold out. being paid for your job only means you deserve it.
I write poetry for hobby and I dont want to be paied for it. I spend tons of hours blogging about netaudio culture and i don't want to get paied for it (no banners on my site): i'm enough satisfied if i can succesfully spread my knowledge and people says "thanx" to me. I used to produce IDM and Dub music some years ago and I didn't desire to be paied for it: I used to be a lot happy when ppl was remixing my tunes, jamming, sharing etc ;)
if you don't want to be paid for your devotion to the netaudio scene, that's your choice and I sincerely respect it.
it seems you consider this as integrity and I also think it can be considered as.
but as I said you made this choice.
my choice is to be part of the netlabel scene today (and I love it). but I'll also be happy to earn some money from my music one day. and if it happens, I'm sure I'll still be as honest as I am today.
the only integrity I have is the sincerity I put in my music.
as we respect your choice, you have to respect our.

humeka wrote: [related to your posts on thinner] now deciding if Britney Spears is making bad music or not is something completely subjective... (imo, even if I don't like her music, I respect her as you must be damn strong to be able to dance like she does and sing at the same time ;-) and I don't even speak about all those people talking sht about you...)
Who is talking sht about me? O_o
nobody talks sh!t about you, I was only talking about our beloved Britney, lol.
revy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by revy »

eldino wrote: "all the good releases on beatport"+"occasional crappy releases for free, just because we have some un-sellable tracks available".
:shock:
honestly I can't think of any examples of this happening. in some cases the netreleases end up being more suited for home listening/experimental, and the commercial releases might be more for the clubs. but with the labels storlon mentioned, igloo, miniatura, etc... the free stuff is still high quality and well mastered. better than the majority of all the other sh!t to wade thru on beatport in my opinion.

musicians/labels should be able to make a little bit of money without compromising their integrity. in most cases it still doesn't even come close to paying off all the money spent on gear and software, etc. time can be considered even more valuable. sure its a hobby for many people, but a hobby where the end product is something that some people are willing to pay for. If someone's hobby was to make jewelry out of beads or whatever, would you really criticize them for trying to sell them to help pay for all the materials used?
Hugues31
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hugues31 »

revy wrote:
:shock:
honestly I can't think of any examples of this happening. in some cases the netreleases end up being more suited for home listening/experimental, and the commercial releases might be more for the clubs. but with the labels storlon mentioned, igloo, miniatura, etc... the free stuff is still high quality and well mastered. better than the majority of all the other sht to wade thru on beatport in my opinion.

musicians/labels should be able to make a little bit of money without compromising their integrity. in most cases it still doesn't even come close to paying off all the money spent on gear and software, etc. time can be considered even more valuable. sure its a hobby for many people, but a hobby where the end product is something that some people are willing to pay for. If someone's hobby was to make jewelry out of beads or whatever, would you really criticize them for trying to sell them to help pay for all the materials used?
A big +1 :P
eldino
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by eldino »

@humeka
I'm curious to see how many of all you guys who agree with Thinner decision, will buy stuff from em ;)

Anyway my reply to what u said can be summarized quoting this comment (from Thinnerism):

can you imagine, you’re a musican and you have the choice:

1. releasing on a netlabel for free
2. releasing on 12″ and get paid

so, who will decide for 1.?

just a stupid!

Comment by sur — December 8, 2008, 16:00

Sublime comment. +1
iTunes, Scripting, Creative Commons, Netlabels, Mac & more: http://eldino.wordpress.com
humeka
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by humeka »

eldino wrote:@humeka
I'm curious to see how many of all you guys who agree with Thinner decision, will buy stuff from em ;)
I'm not sure the real question is how many people will now buy music from Thinner. I think it's more how to evolve in a consistently moving distribution scheme or where is the adequacy between musicians and labels needs.

if a label evolve from a free distribution to a remunerative one, it will surely loose some listeners. but it will also win some new ones and these listeners (or now customers) will help the label sticks to its reason of being: delivering music according to its headline, free or not.
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by infernal.techno »

write me a poem
- matt
sven laux
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sven laux »

eldino wrote:@humeka

Anyway my reply to what u said can be summarized quoting this comment (from Thinnerism):

can you imagine, you’re a musican and you have the choice:

1. releasing on a netlabel for free
2. releasing on 12″ and get paid

so, who will decide for 1.?

just a stupid!

Comment by sur — December 8, 2008, 16:00

Sublime comment. +1
I think I would release music on a netlabel, because the chance is higher that a lot of people will hear it. who wants to buy a vinyl with non-dance-floor-oriented music on it?