Thinner goes to paid downloads: here my reply to them!

- free art
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

Not following you at all Eldino... Do you run a netlabel ? Do you produce ? An what that thing about hobby ?
eldino
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by eldino »

@thomasjaldemark
it's called "satire" here ;) Dunno if it exists in your country..

From Merriam-Webster dictionary:
1 : a literary work holding up human vices and follies to ridicule or scorn
2 : trenchant wit, irony, or sarcasm used to expose and discredit vice or folly

Storlon wrote:Not following you at all Eldino... Do you run a netlabel ? Do you produce ? An what that thing about hobby ?
Nope, I'm just a netaudio addict since years and a Thinner lover who has been pissed a lot by this decision, because it could sign the end of netaudio (imagine if all the good netlabels will go commercial because Thinner, one of the best ones, did it...). I don't run a netlabel, but I run the most important blog in Italy about netaudio and I do keynotes about it. My goal is to spread free&legal media contents culture, stuff like netaudio or jamendo, that for me are the only, real alternative to traditional crappy music biz.

More about me here: http://eldino.wordpress.com/about/
More about my skills: http://eldino.wordpress.com/my-netlabel-music-meter/
iTunes, Scripting, Creative Commons, Netlabels, Mac & more: http://eldino.wordpress.com
Hugues31
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hugues31 »

eldino wrote:If you like netaudio culture and free content sharing movement, you CAN'T like this decision. Many other netlabels could follow Thinner steps and soon we will not have more good, fresh, original music to download for free. How can you happy of this? Bah.
Some other netlabels have already made this step... and that's not a bad things to my opinion !
When you think at all the people behind the project, you see that it's really hard to have quality release : good artwork, good artist, good tracks, good mastering... It takes a lots of time and needs lots of people contribution for free !
Thinking about earning some money to help the project is not a shame !

I love the netlabel scene, and with my friends we ve already done 3 netreleases !
As storlon said what about hobby ?

Don't take me wrong, i like discover free music but i really think that we can't blame them for that... And they re still releasing netlabel
There will always be great newcomers to take the place !
humeka
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by humeka »

Eldino, reading your comment on Thinner, I was really surprised you never considered the musician position.

listeners are surely making musicians famous. but it never meant musicians then belong to their fans. so if a musician decide to get paid for his work, so be it!

just to let you know, I'm releasing my music for free today. the great netlabel scene offered me the possibility to be released and discovered, the possibility to give my music to people who like it. without it, these people would have never been able to listen to my tunes.

so this is for us musicians, the possibility to bypass label's selection and been listened even if a label director though our music wasn't good enough to be out on his company.

we can then say that the netlabel scene is giving a chance to any musician to be discovered by fans and labels (the previous label's owner didn't like your music but maybe another will. another one might be completely venal and seeing your success, will want to sign you to earn money: if it gives you what you want and that both parts get satisfied, where's the problem?).

but now, if a label propose a musician to earn money for his composition, why not? being paid for your job has never meant you were sold out. being paid for your job only means you deserve it.

[related to your posts on thinner] now deciding if Britney Spears is making bad music or not is something completely subjective... (imo, even if I don't like her music, I respect her as you must be damn strong to be able to dance like she does and sing at the same time ;-) and I don't even speak about all those people talking sh!t about you...)
humeka
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by humeka »

Eldino, I'm curious to know what you think of Archipel and their business model. isn't it a good solution?
Hugues31
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hugues31 »

Maybe it's a bit off topic, but looking to the electronic scene at the moment i think it's really hard for label and netlabel to find there place in the scene !
I mean that sometimes i feel lost while checking the thousand of releases/netreleases coming out in the week !
That's the part of the label policy to know how they want to be present and how they can evolve in the scene !

There is too many new project coming out every week ! As musicians ( at our small level ;) ) we ve been contacting so many times by people that only tryed to make money or that wasn't really serious !
So i must say i am happy to see this project going to another level because they made a great job and they desserve it ! and that's show to the musicians and fans how serious was/is this project !
eldino
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by eldino »

humeka wrote:Eldino, reading your comment on Thinner, I was really surprised you never considered the musician position.
In my opinion, there are two kinds of musicians:
- those who do music for hobby and like the free-sharing culture, the CC licensing etc;
- those who wants do get paied for their music and use netaudio scene JUST as self-promotion, because they can't get better than that at the moment, and maybe they don't care a fck about the culture behind netaudio; they see netaudio as a tool to use for being famous and get a contract for a real recording label.

I like to think that the first category is the biggest part of netaudio musicians and I respect em exactly as I respect those linux/opensource developers or bloggers or wikipedia members who work for us freely and give us lot of products for free. I don't respect the second category of musicians because by default they are not part of netaudio culture: they just use netlabels as secondhand recording labels.

If doing music is a hobby for you, you don't need to be paied for it: you must be enough happy to be listened, reviewed, shared, loved by people all around the world.
humeka wrote: but now, if a label propose a musician to earn money for his composition, why not? being paid for your job has never meant you were sold out. being paid for your job only means you deserve it.
I write poetry for hobby and I dont want to be paied for it. I spend tons of hours blogging about netaudio culture and i don't want to get paied for it (no banners on my site): i'm enough satisfied if i can succesfully spread my knowledge and people says "thanx" to me. I used to produce IDM and Dub music some years ago and I didn't desire to be paied for it: I used to be a lot happy when ppl was remixing my tunes, jamming, sharing etc ;)

humeka wrote: [related to your posts on thinner] now deciding if Britney Spears is making bad music or not is something completely subjective... (imo, even if I don't like her music, I respect her as you must be damn strong to be able to dance like she does and sing at the same time ;-) and I don't even speak about all those people talking sht about you...)
Who is talking sh!t about me? O_o
iTunes, Scripting, Creative Commons, Netlabels, Mac & more: http://eldino.wordpress.com
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

humeka wrote:Eldino, I'm curious to know what you think of Archipel and their business model. isn't it a good solution?
Yeap archipel..is a great example, and unfoud as quoted before, also Pinksilver, SpontanMusik, Igloo, 31337records, Miniatura.. they are all good example of mixed pay/free labels. and they trully deserve it.